Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was grooming my little baby, and I accidentally nicked his quick. He bled a bit and I didn't have any cornstarch, flour, or styptic powder to stop the bleeding (I will always, ALWAYS have some close by in the future). He JUST stopped bleeding (as I was throwing on some clothes to run to the store and buy some), and I know the blood loss doesn't look like much, but it's a lot to him because he's so small. I'm worried about him getting anemia. What foods can I feed him that are high in iron to supplement his blood loss and help him recover?

Also, I found a tiny bit of rust on the bottom of my nail clippers (I'm replacing them with stainless steel ones and never using them again). It wasn't on the clipper part, so I don't think it made contact with his cut. Can hedgehogs get tetanus from rusted objects like humans can? I do not believe the rust made contact with his injury, but I would like to know what to watch for just to be safe.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
484 Posts
I think that if he stopped bleeding he will be okay. Don't worry!!! We've all done this at some point! If you are worried you could phone a vet and ask and potentially take him in if you are still concerned. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that if he stopped bleeding he will be okay. Don't worry!!! We've all done this at some point! If you are worried you could phone a vet and ask and potentially take him in if you are still concerned. Good luck! :)
Thank you so much!!! 😊 Yes, you're right, I might shoot his vet a quick call. He seems okay right now, and I'm so glad he still trusts me. Do you think I should put a tiny bit of Neosporin (antibacterial ointment) on his cut? I wouldn't want to put more than a teeny tiny bit (if any) in case he tries to lick it, but I'm wondering if you have ever used anything to prevent infection. I'm a little worried about him running tonight and sleeping in his cage (even though I changed his bedding two days ago and spot clean daily, there are definitely some poop germs I miss).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts