Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody

So are adding a new member to our little family, PINELOPE (with an 'i' not an 'e')

So im super excited to have her join us as I've never had a girlie hedge before, and now my boyfriend can't complain i dress her up too girlie.

i wanted to ask a question that a lot of people seem to disagree on:

It's summer now here and the misquitos are having a great time.
So i bought one of those home spray things that go off every few minutes, it's filled with either citronella oil or eucalyptus oil.

Obviously it's pointed away from the cage, food and anywhere she runs, so she won't come in direct contact with her, but is there a chance she might find it unpleasant?

Or that the smell might annoy her or anything negative?

It would be nice to hear a few opinions.

Thank you

·
Registered
528 Posts
It could actually be poisonous to her. Eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil both are cyclic carbon chains and both contain the chemical eucalyptol. They have similar structure and chemical properties, and tea tree oil is a known hedgehog toxin.

Citronella is often used as a wild animal garden pest deterrent. It's supposed to keep out rodents, deer, rabbits, and other things that want to eat your veggies.

So, yeah, I would say this is something to have nowhere near your hedgehog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh goodness...

Thank you, Soyala.
Do you per chance know of anything else that i can use that won't bother the hedgie?
For room sprays?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts