Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I have had my hedgie for just a little over 2 years now. He is a healthy, happy, friendly hog. I have not had any issue with him until now. All of a sudden he stopped pooping. I did not change his food. I have been feeding him blue buffalo chicken and rice. I have tried to feed him grain free cat foods and he does not like them very much. I found Blue Buffalo Chicken and rice to have a good Protein/Fat ratio.

He normally runs in his wheel every night and poops in it. I am used to cleaning it daily. It has now been over a week at least since I have cleaned the wheel.

I brought him to the vet. The vet gave him some wet food and he pooped right after eating it. I took him home and he would not go again on his own. I even tried giving him some of the exact same food. I offered him organic unseasoned canned pumpkin. He would not eat very much of it. I understand you may have more success feeding him this with a syringe. I have not had very good luck with this method. Without another person to hold the hog it is near impossible to get him to open up for a syringe.

I have switched his food to a Merrick Purrfect Bistro grain free kibble and stella and chewy's chicken dinner (hydrated with water)

I can always encourage him to poop in the warm bath. His poops are often big and hard. Today they looked the most normal. The last one had some green in it. What could the green be?

I have been giving him antibiotics twice a day for the past 4 days now. Since I have not have success with syringe feeding, I have been putting the antibiotics on mealworms. (not the best carrier because they move)
I have picked up a fried chicken leg from the grocery deli to give him his antibiotics on that instead of mealworms from here on out.

I have mixed in unsweetened unflavored pedialyte into his water to help rehydrate him.

He seems to have a normal appetite and I see him drink water as well.

I just never see him poop on his own anymore. I always have to massage his little belly in the warm bath.

I will continue to give him the antibiotics for the full 10 days as directed by the vet. It is Enrofloxacin. I give him 0.06 mL twice a day.

I have researched and done everything I think might help.

What else can I do for the little guy?

Has anyone experienced constipation that just won't end?

Thank you for reading

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Insights

I just checked the temperature is at 75 degrees.

I moved to this new place about a month ago. Is the change in water affecting him?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Some won't drink certain water types. Many have reported a hedge not drinking water at a new home. Try bottled water.

If he won't drink, bottled feed more wet food along with live shelled insects like locust, crickets, ****roaches for fibre.

The green is common with any new food. It's bile caused by a stomach upset,but most hedges do this with any new food. Don't worry too much.

Many believe that hedgies in the wild get their hydration from the food they eat (myself included) and do not have the correct mental triggers to drink enough freestanding water. So more wet food may well be your answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think we may be on to something here with the water theory Nick. I have seen him drink but I feel like he may not be drinking as much. I don't think he touched the unflavored pedialyte with unfiltered tap water last night.

His mannerisms are normal to me. I am not sure if he is wheeling while I sleep. He typcially goes on the wheel.

I just snuggled with him for about an hour while I read a book. He loved it because it is now in the middle of the day. After I let him him out of the snuggle sack I put him back in his cage and he drank a lot of water. I do not have any bottled water handy so I gave him Brita filtered water. Maybe he likes this better. I know I do.

I think I will try feeding him only Stella and Chewy's chicken dinner. I rehydrate it with water so it has lots of moisture. He has been off the grains for days now which I hope is helping. Any other favorite wet food recommendations? Especially with lots of fiber?

I just realized that temperature may be an issue as well. I can't control the thermostat in this old house. It was 74 last night but now it is 68 or 69. He has had a heat pad the whole time to make sure he does not get too cold. Perhaps this is not enough. I ordered ceramic heat emitter and lamp.

I read a lot about not using them with plastic bins because they get hot. Do you think the 100W will melt the thick plastic sterilite tub?

Temperature can affect so many things. I am trying to cover all my bases. I am actually going to move again so I can make sure to have him in a small air conditioned room for the summer. For now I need to make sure he is warm enough and getting regular.

I never wanted to clean his poopy wheel so bad! lol

I really appreciate any insights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts