Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is looking to make a good-sized storage bin cage, there are these really large plastic storage bins for sale right now that are made for holding Christmas trees. They are seasonal though, so once they sell out they will be gone until next year.

Anyways, I picked one up tonight from Fred Meyer for $30, and its dimensions are roughly 52"x20"x14". I'm going to use mine as an outdoor home for my Russian Tortoises (on my patio), but I think it would be really easy to make it into a hedgehog home. The one I got is called the Iris Holiday Tree Storage Box, and can be seen on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Here's a photo of my 4 year old playing in it:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Aha, that one looks like a nice height! I always like those long tubs but usually they aren't tall enough for the wheels. May have to add on to Inky's tub mansion. :lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Wow, what an awesome size for a hedgie cage and for little kids to play in. :lol:

·
Registered
5,914 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
It is great! I have one as a back up cage when I have a mom with a large litter or for weaning babies. Maybe I should let Tsunami have it for a cage.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
The bin itself is only a little over 11 inches tall.
With the lid it's 14 inches tall.
I'm just going cut out around the lid with a dremel tool.
Floor space measures 48 inches long and 17 inches wide.
Also the plastic is a whole lot stronger than the sterlite bins.
The lid on the one i got is green :mrgreen:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use this kind of bin to put my moms with older babies in. It gives them lots of room to come out and play. Just beware not to put a plastic igloo in them, as the hedgies can climb on top of the igloo and escape! When I move my moms and babies to this kind of cage, they are 4 and a half weeks of age and I then use hats, so they don't escape. You could also cut a hole in the lid and put wire grid on there to avoid escapees. This is a wonderful size bin.

Helen
www.sunshinequillhedgehogs.com

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First of all, LarryT was right about the actual usable dimensions...I had just posted what it said on the label. And second, since I will not be putting my tortoises outside until the summer, and I had nowhere to store this huge bin, I decided to go ahead and put Ziggy in it for now. We're also trying a Comfort Wheel (his Christmas present) since he only briskly walks on his FS and the little chubster really needs to run.

Anyways, here's a photo of the new setup:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I wanted to bump this up, as it's almost that time again.
This is just a reminder to those who use bins and this will be a great seasonal opportunity to get one.

I already saw some at Zellers today, but of course, not on sale yet or anything. So it'll just be something to wait for and keep a look out for once Christmas ends.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
For anyone who has used these, do they need ventilation holes cut into the sides or are the walls low enough and of course the wide open space big enough to not need them? I ask because I'm seriously thinking about ditching my Ferret Nation setup, I'd like my guys to have more room and find the FNs are kind of small in the end.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I've got 5 of them and they work alot better than connecting those small bins together. I do think they are ok without drilling any holes in them but I did drill a few just to be safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts