Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:geek: I know chitin is a component of insect shells, but what is it exactly? Protien? Fiber? I mix a little Sunseed hedgie food in with my hedgies cat food mix because it has chitin powder listed as an ingredient, and it seems logical that it would be good for the hedgie, as it would be a part of their natural diet. Maybe it is good for quill development? Am I just barking at the moon? Help on this is appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Chitin to a hedgie is basically fiber. Most cat foods are inadequately low on fiber so adding Grape-Nuts etc. helps give them the fiber they need. Chitin is their natural source of fiber in the wild.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Grape-Nuts are a cereal made by Post. They are actually barley bread that has been twice baked and ground up in a coffee bean grinder. (Things you learn watching the history channel) I add them to my hedgies mix to provide added fiber.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Reaper said:
(Things you learn watching the history channel)
lol. i learn random things like that from the discovery channel more. (myth busters mainly has some misc. facts mixed in) Of course, AniEal Planet (Animal Planet) is good too. What up with the new sideways M in the new logo? i never got that. wow. i'm getting side-tracked. lolz.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Reaper said:
Grape-Nuts are a cereal made by Post. They are actually barley bread that has been twice baked and ground up in a coffee bean grinder. (Things you learn watching the history channel) I add them to my hedgies mix to provide added fiber.
They can eat grapenuts!? I would have thought that they are too hard. Wow I will add some to the food now I have some in the cupboard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts