Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I currently have two chinchillas and am considering getting a hedgehog that’s up for adoption near me. I typically try to keep my room around 68F for my chins, and was wondering if a heating pad, targeted space heater and/or heat lamp would be sufficient to keep a hedgie warm in this temperature? Would I be able to get the hedgehog out for playtime or would it be too cold for them?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
68 is definitely too cold for a hedgehog. They need temperatures to be about the mid 70s, and being too warm is safer than too cool.

You could keep the hedgehog in the same room provided you can maintain a high enough temperature in the cage. But, heating pads are a no go, they can cause low temp burns and don't really warm the air of the cage at all. I'd suggest using as many CHE's as it takes to heat the size of cage you would be using. It also helps to insulate the cage to help it hold in heat. You could also use a space heater if it won't be a problem for the chins.

As far as taking the hog out for play time, is there warmer room of the house you could hang out in? I wouldn't want to have a hog away from their heat source in a room below 72-73 and honestly that low makes me a little nervous.

I hope that helps. If you have more questions please feel free to ask.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts