Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just put in chinchilla sand for my 4 1/2 month old hedgehog. He loved it! He was rolling around in it and I’ve never seen him so excited. What I noticed is that there was sand around his mouth/nose and that he had tasted some of it but I don’t think he continued to eat it. I’m wondering if it’s safe for hedgehogs. The tub says it’s dust free chinchilla sand but I’ve seen some forums saying it’s bad for them. I took the litter box the sand was in out for now and looking for some help before giving it back to him. Is there any safer alternatives to chinchilla sand or is this sand safe? The brand is MultiSafe bath sand.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,060 Posts
I use reptile sand aa its easier than trying to find chinchilla sand as I only ever found chinchilla dust.

She only gets to use it 1-2 times a week in her play pen and I make sure I remove sand from around her face and her genitals after.

As far as I know chinchilla sand with no dust is just as safe reptile sand with no dust - reptile sand has to be non dyed with nothing like calcium added.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wondering if it’s safe to leave the box with sand in it as a permanent part of his enclosure? Or should it only be in there under supervision

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,060 Posts
Theres mixed opinions on that, some places I read that it should only be supervised and other places say to leave it in all the time and let them use it whenever.

I only have room in the play pen for it, and I'll switch it put with a forage tray as she only really likes using it 2 days a week anyway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts