Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Today I have a question. I had already posted something similar, but I noticed new developments so I think it's time to ask again to be sure.

I've had Cassandra since mid-July I think, and she seems to be very young since she recently changed her teeth (I don't know her exact age, my dad saved her from the road after a forest fire). She is usually a very calm hedgie: she eats her kibble and bugs, chills in her cuddle sack, and enjoys her belly rubs.
Of course she sleeps during the day, but I feed her something at noon and she always wakes up to eat and play a bit - she doesn't seem to mind, because she never bites. Sometimes she runs around for an hour or so before going back to bed, and seems to have very little problem waking up once or twice in the day to play for a bit.

However, since the first days I noticed that it's a completely different story at night: she gets up around midnight and starts stalking her terrarium in search for prey, and every time anyone tries to touch her, she acts very violently, charging and lunging to bite any fingers that might try to feed her. Today she bit furiously into my finger until I started bleeding - only then did I manage to get her off my finger by gently blowing on her. She does this every night, and gets back to her calm self every day. At this point, I'm pretty sure she thinks she's hunting and I'm being hunted.

Now, her terrarium is still going through some adjustments: today I changed the soil and replaced it with some coco fibre, added a different bowl for her food, and moved some stuff around. I still haven't got her a wheel or crinkle balls - I'm waiting for those to be delivered. I don't really know what the problem is: is she bored and needs to play? Is she really "hunting" me? Is she just very hungry at night despite eating during the day?

Any advice is welcome. I want to make sure I'm giving her all she needs to be healthy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My hedgehog does the same thing! What I suspect is that they're just extra defensive at night. I usually leave my hedgie alone once its past 10pm-ish. Hope this helped :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts