Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am the proud owner of Harper A. Hedgehog, who is 8 weeks old and is just amazing. She loves to snuggle and she's definitely won my heart. The one thing I've noticed with her is a tendency to chew on things anytime she get the opportunity- pillows, magazines, shirts, whatever. She doesn't seem to do this in her cage, only when she's out hanging out. It doesn't bother me much, she doesn't cause much damage and she can't break off pieces- but I'm wondering if I should be supplying her things to chew on? I'm lead to believe that Hedgehogs aren't normally Chewers, but your thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
They don't need things to chew on the way rodents do, but some of them have more of an oral fixation. Many hedgehogs will either chew or lick at things that they're experiencing for the first time, or if they have a particularly enticing smell, which may or may not be followed up with anointing. Some hedgehogs will repeat the behavior with particular objects even if it's the hundredth time they've encountered it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My Watson is a chewer. Certain fabrics he just really takes to. Here's an example of his chew-chew-chew-ness

1 - 3 of 3 Posts