Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog is experiencing the exact same thing as GogtheHedgehog the picture that is in this post looks just like my hedgehog, only mine won't let me take a picture.

Two weeks ago I noticed my hedgehog had a spot under her chin, so I put saline on it for a few days and it seemed to be healing well. Then last night the scab, (it was so little and almost healed), was gone and now she is bleeding and won't leave it alone. She is eating and doesn't act sick, but she won't stop chewing tonight, and then she cries after she chews on it. I have never seen or heard her do this before.

She is a pretty chubby hedgehog, and won't run on a wheel, she has one but won't use it, (never has, never will). She is caged with another hedgehog, but they have been caged together for over a year without problems. (I have tried separating them to see if she will run on her wheel done but it didn't help). She has plenty of food and water, as well as her house and some fleece to cuddle in.

It is breaking my heart because she chews on it and then starts crying in pain and running around panicking, but I can't make her stop. She is not doing this constantly, but it is almost every 20 to 30 mins. I separated her from my other hedgehog for tonight, because I wanted to make sure that she was eating and acting okay other than the chewing.

If this was a normal week I could just take her to the vet, but I am all iced in today and tomorrow so I can't safely get her to the vet, my local vets won't see hedgehogs (there is a hedgehog vet 40 mins away, thankfully I have never had to use it before now). This is the first night that she has done this, and I just don't know what to do.

Is there anything I can do for the pain? Or at least to help her calm down?

Sorry this is long and kind of rambles on, (it is 3 am where I live and I have been up since 7 am yesterday), I just can't go to bed knowing she is in pain. I regret not taking her to the vet sooner, but it was looking so good and she hasn't acted sick. It doesn't and has not looked infected.
Any suggestions are helpful, thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts