Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We are adopting an adult female hedgehog next week and are making the final plans for our setup. We were originally going to get a baby from the breeder, who is very knowledgeable, caring, and well-informed, but have decided to rehome one of her retired adult hedgies instead. The only concern is that she recommended only a heating pad under the hedgehog's bed.

After doing research on forums, I feel as if a CHE/thermostat/thermometer setup is the best way to go. I guess the heating pad system has worked well for her, but it seems like the consensus on those is very iffy.

We are planning on starting out with a Sterilite tub, a pretty basic setup. We also plan to use a wire/metal lid to set the CHE dome on, so we don't have to worry about clamp failure. A fire hazard while I'm at work is basically my biggest fear!

My questions are:

1) I'm super anxious about fire in general. I have read plenty of opinions saying CHEs are not a fire hazard unless you drape something flammable near it or let it fall upon flammable materials. Can anyone share their experience with CHEs to hopefully calm my nerves and make me feel more confident about this choice? Especially with a plastic tub? I will be gone for most of the day at work, so I need to know that the hedgehog/my apartment is safe and secure while I can't keep a direct eye on the setup.

2) How did y'all using wire/metal lids make/buy/find that lid? Any suggestions very welcome! We're trying to get this all ready to go within the week, so I'm actively hunting for the best method to support the CHE dome.

3) Can anyone provide me links with tried and tested CHE/dome/themostat/thermometer combinations? I'm planning on ordering them off Amazon ASAP but don't want to get the wrong equipment.

4) Does anyone swear by any other heating messages or disagree with the choice to use a CHE?

Thank you so so much for your time and expertise! Like I said, I've been doing tons of research but there's something more confidence-boosting about speaking to people directly about it, especially being a first time owner.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
CHE is for sure the way to go. That's all I've used since I got my girl a couple of years ago.

When you get your equipment, just be sure to inspect it carefully to make sure there's no defects anywhere. So long as all the pieces are in proper working order they really are quite safe.

For a lid I'm using the wire shelves you'd hang on the wall in a closet. You can find them at hardware stores like home depot. Actually, if you know the measurements, you could probably get them to cut it to the proper size for you. We didn't know the exact size we needed for our C&C so we had to cut them ourselves. We only had a dremel at the time so it was fairly tedious. :lol:

Honestly, it's pretty easy to find what you'll need on Amazon even without a link. You need a dome (no smaller than the 8.5 inch, a 10 may be better, but totes aren't terribly big), a thermostat (really most of the reptile ones would work just fine. i'd suggest getting one you can plug multiple lamps into incase you upgrade cages), and the CHE bulb itself. The thermostat is where you'll find the most variety in prices I think. I would go do a little cyber shopping and see what you find. If you find one you like but aren't sure, link it and we'll give our opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts