Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Happy New Year! I'm in S. Florida and we're freezing at the moment, for us. It was 40 this morning, about 69 in the house. We humans love this drop, but I don't want issues for our spiked friend.

I always have Spikerina's CHE thermostat set to about 73. Yesterday, I went in to give her a foot bath and noticed the digital temperature in her cage to be 69! I was stunned. I've rarely paid much attention to it as we usually have the A/C on in the house, complain about the hot winter and holidays and find her cage to be stable at 73. She wouldn't uncurl for me, but I chalked it up to not handling her much w/ the holiday hustle and bustle. However, she didn't uncurl in her bath. Fearing an attempt to hibernate, I put her in bed w/ me under my sweatshirt and after an hour, felt all four feet on my stomach. Last night, a midnight check saw her running on the wheel but it was after I added heat...

My problem seems to be the CHE. I moved the setting up to 80, but it didn't budge the cage temp. from 69 after an hour (when she was on me in bed.) Both red and green lights are on which tells me it's trying to increase the temp, but is unable to do so. I put a portable space heater in there and got a few degrees of increase. This morning, I moved the heater to the breakfast area for my sons for about an hour, and her cage temp dropped again despite my turning the CHE up to 85 - it never got above 70 w/o the portable heater.

This CHE/thermostat is 8 mos. old. Is it broke? This weather is very uncustomary for us so this may be the first time it is challenged! Help as I don't want her to attempt hibernation, not that I'm convinced that's what was happening yesterday, but it certainly could have been.

Dana

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I actually tried to repost about a space heater though I'm not sure if it went on the board as the computer was responding slowly and I may have turned it off before it went through. I also read, after doing so, about putting them in water as a no-no. Luckily, she is fine and I am using a space heater for her which is working well. I am contemplating the heating pad, though I'm worried about it against the plastic base. Nonetheless, she seems to be fine and I thank you for your response!

Dana

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.