Hedgehog Central banner

CHE suggestions? and how to mount?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Aprinceton 
#1 ·
Okay, so I've finally given in and decided I need a CHE. sigh.
I've been running a heater, but it's getting very expensive very fast. I just have a few questions about a CHE.
What are your suggestions for reasonably priced lamps and bulbs?
And I have a plastic bin cage with wire screen fitted in the lid. I can attach pics if needed. So I was wondering, how do you put a CHE on that kind of cage? Is it safe to just rest them on the screen or would I have to get something to mount it on?
Last question, what's the CHEAPEST thermometer out there that works decently? I don't want to spend more than I have to. I have a thermometer to stick in and check the temp right now, but I read you have to get a thermometer that can shut off the lamps?
Thanks!

#2 ·
okay so I just found out it's safe to rest the lamp on window screen. My question is, I've read to get 100w bulbs for the lamps, but I read somewhere else that 60w would be good for plastic bins since they keep the heat in. I'm also going to be using two, since I have two bins attached, so would 60w be good enough? I really don't want to buy 60w then find out I need 100w instead...

#3 ·
Sorry I keep posting but I'm trying to decide what to do!! I figured out how much everything would cost and I need help on what I should do. I have two options--
1. Keep my two bins and get 2 60w bulbs, and 2 clamp lamps. This costs me around $60.
2. Get one bin the size of my two bins and use a 100w bulb in the middle, so only 1 bulb and 1 lamp. This costs me $30.

Would one lamp be enough for one big bin? I could do 150w too if necessary.

#4 ·
Thermometers gauge temperature, so I'm guessing you mistyped & meant thermostat! This is the one I have & like, and the price on Amazon is pretty decent for thermostats, as far as I know - Amazon.com : Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt : Reptile Thermostat : Pet Supplies There's a few others that people have used, so you could see if a search through the forum for 'thermostat' turns up anything else cheaper. I'm not sure what other thermostats have outlets for multiple lamps though, which the 1000-watt version of this one does (3 outlets).

What temperature is your room? 60 watts is probably strong enough, but I don't blame you for hesitating. It's hard to know for sure sometimes. I would go with the 60w though, and you should be able to return them if you end up needing 100w bulbs after all.

Edit: What are the dimensions of the bigger bin? I think that would probably work, but may depend on the length of the bin.

#5 ·
Thermometers gauge temperature, so I'm guessing you mistyped & meant thermostat! This is the one I have & like, and the price on Amazon is pretty decent for thermostats, as far as I know - Amazon.com : Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt : Reptile Thermostat : Pet Supplies There's a few others that people have used, so you could see if a search through the forum for 'thermostat' turns up anything else cheaper. I'm not sure what other thermostats have outlets for multiple lamps though, which the 1000-watt version of this one does (3 outlets).

What temperature is your room? 60 watts is probably strong enough, but I don't blame you for hesitating. It's hard to know for sure sometimes. I would go with the 60w though, and you should be able to return them if you end up needing 100w bulbs after all.

Edit: What are the dimensions of the bigger bin? I think that would probably work, but may depend on the length of the bin.
Yeah, I realized I should have written thermostat after, whoops!
My room would be at 65 without the heater. I've got two 18x11" bins connected, so I'd get one around 36x22".
I'm leaning more toward getting the two lamps now, since it would only be about $15 cheaper to get a whole new bin after you factor in the price of the new bin and bigger lamps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.