Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i have a 100w CHE with a 10 inch dome i believe and it doesn't seem to release a lot of heat, you can only really feel it when your hand is up close to it. I was wondering if it is broken and I need to return it for a new one or the heat is escaping the cage. How hot should the cage be if I have it on full heat anyways?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If its cranked on full and its only putting out a little heat, then something is wrong, otherwise at full blast the cage would be too hot, the dome would be very warm and the CHE you'd feel just by sticking your hand under it, even many inches away. What kind of thermostat do you have? If the room the cage is in, then the CHE might just be off because its at temperature?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Do you have a thermometer in the cage? I just use a cheapo $10 Radio Shack digital...I used two for a few days until I was sure my CHE was working okay and to check the accuracy of the cheapo!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: CHE not working?!?
by Puffers315 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:01 pm

If its cranked on full and its only putting out a little heat, then something is wrong, otherwise at full blast the cage would be too hot, the dome would be very warm and the CHE you'd feel just by sticking your hand under it, even many inches away. What kind of thermostat do you have? If the room the cage is in, then the CHE might just be off because its at temperature?
Hmm, well I can feel it from an inch or two under but it does not reach where he is...and i do not have a thermostat at the moment, when I bought the light & lamp I couldnt find a thermostat and one of the workers said you cant get them here (i live in Canada) and that i'd have to order one online for $100, So I thought I could put it on a steady heat (not too hot not too cold) all day and my room can get pretty hot itself (it was 80 this morning)

Re: CHE not working?!?
by MissC on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 pm

Do you have a thermometer in the cage? I just use a cheapo $10 Radio Shack digital...I used two for a few days until I was sure my CHE was working okay and to check the accuracy of the cheapo!
Ya i do have a thermometer and it usually stays from 75-80, even though the CHE seems not to be working?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I live in Canada...and bought a thermostat...every pet store I've been in has them??!! :? Last weekend, I bought mine at Big Al's (mostly fish stuff) and paid $50 (Repitemp 500r). Works like a charm.

If your thermometer is working and accurate, it sound slike the CHE is working??? is your room very warm? When I used the CHE for the first time, I turned the heat off completely in the apartment so the CHE would be forced to work...maybe the surrounding area is so warm the CHE doesn't have to do much.

I don't know what to suggest if you don't have a thermostat as I think your CHE will be on all the time. I'm not sure if you can use them without a thermostat??? Wouldn't it just keep getting hotter and hotter? Mine turns on and off as soon as the temp drops to 24...satys on until temp is 25...turns off.

Sorry...I'm not much help...hopefully someone else who knows more about heating will be along.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've never used my CHE and dome without a thermostat. A thermostat is needed to turn the CHE on when it detects that it's too cold in the room (so hedgie doesn't become too cold) and off when it detects it's warm enough (so hedgie doesn't overheat). I'd worry about hedgie overheating without a thermostat controller.

IFF your room is regularly 75-80F on its own, that should be sufficient for your hedgie until the thermostat comes in.

I wouldn't necessarily judge how well the CHE and dome are working if you don't yet have the thermostat controller. It's a little bit like trying to judge how well your new sneakers are doing when you don't have any laces.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that's weird, I went to petsmart and looked in the reptile section for a thermostat and they didnt have any so i ask them and they said that you can't find them unless online. But I guess I could go check out Big Als...my room can get very hot...this morning it was just above 80 :? I was just more concerned when I go away and go to the cottage that his cage will be warm enough...

I can go find a thermostat and see if it works better...but the CHE only seems to giving off heat 2 inches (max) away from the lamp...so i was just a little concerned that it wasn't making a difference...

·
Registered
912 Posts
I ran into the same problem you are with not being able to find the thermostat controllers in the stores. Ended up needing to order on-line. One store had a rheostat that they said was a thermostat, but, clearly, was not *sigh* Another thing I learned when I had a thermostat die is that PetCo's idea of next-day delivery and my day of next-day delivery are two very different concepts.

What you're describing about only being able to feel the heat a couple inches away sounds about right. When I put my hand up to any one of mine, it seems like it wouldn't heat a cage since you only really feel a difference up close. But when you set them on top of the cage (I have wire-top cages and set the dome right on top of the bars), they do get heat down to where the hedgies are. Just takes awhile for it to seep to where it needs to be. In winter, I have fleece covers with big "windows" to cover the cages and help hold heat in while still providing ventilation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, well I can check out Big Al's as MissC had said...hopefully I can find one...
and as for the CHE itself I wasn't sure if that's what it's supposed to be like as I am a newbie :lol: but I didnt think It could heat a whole cage and the heat would escape...but maybe not, thanks though for your respnses! I just want my little guy to get all his essential needs (plus hes so spoiled :p)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts