Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am 28 days from getting my hedgehog, and i just set up its home. I want to make sure everything is right, and I may be having an issue with the CHE. How long does usually take to heat a standard 40x24 wire side cage? I have had it plugged in for over and hour with little noticeable difference on my thermometer. Should I have two CHE's instead of one?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
40x24?

You need a thermostat for that CHE so it's safe and it will turn on and off to adjust to the needed temperature. What is the temperature in that room?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40in by 20 in. It is a plastic bottom cage with wire sides.

I have a thermostat and additional external thermometer. My apartment is set at 74F right now, but I closed the vents in my room so it is a bit warmer. This morning the thermometer was better. It read 79F. Is that warm enough?

The bulb in my CHE is a 100 WAT and is centrally located in the cage.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
They need 73 -78.

The thermostat should have a dial to set the temperature, if it's at around 73 you won't notice any difference, you need to move the dial until it warms the cage to the desired temperature.

Never turn it on without the thermostat.

Check the temperature in different parts of the cage since it should be even, if it isn't, you need a second CHE

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much. I tested it for the day and the temperature varied a bit but was constantly within the normal range. I think the CHE worked well. The advice from experienced owners is always helpful. I want my first solo pet to be a success. I've raised rabbits my whole life and look forward to this new adventure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts