Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bulb - what wattage if I need to keep it at the 75 degrees, I have read some the highest setting is too cool and some the lowest setting is too hot.

the thermostat - do you plug the lamp directly into the thermostat and set a time and call it good...of course checking for emergencies

is there anything else involved and I should look out for?

Names and stores would be appreciated...links are even better.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The Bulb - what wattage if I need to keep it at the 75 degrees, I have read some the highest setting is too cool and some the lowest setting is too hot.

the thermostat - do you plug the lamp directly into the thermostat and set a time and call it good...of course checking for emergencies

is there anything else involved and I should look out for?

Names and stores would be appreciated...links are even better.
It depends on what size cage. 100 or 150 will be good for any size - it it's more than three feet long about you will need two.

You plug the lamp directly into the thermostat- and then plug the thermostat into the wall. You don't set a time- you set a temperature and whenever the probe (places in the cage) senses the temperature gets below whatever you set it at- it will turn on the lamps- and once it's at the temperature it will turn them off.

Get 10" dome lamps- they distribute heat better.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Are you in the US, Canada, or another country? That changes the store-advice!

What is the normal ambient temperature in your house? (Fairly warm, cool-ish, downright hot will all impact how high of a wattage CHE you'd need)

·
Registered
69 Posts
We have Hazel in a double sterlite bin cage and we use 60 watt bulbs for each bin and haven't had a problem with keeping them at 75 degrees. We use the 5.5 inch lamps...and so far so good!

I have both lamps plugged into the thermostat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

sorry, I meant temp...not time...

I am in Ohio :) so the weather is different anytime the wind blows, but the inside temp is usually 65-75 depending on the time of year. I have heard the zilla brand is one of the most reliable...her cage would be a 109 gal sterilite storage bin with the holes in the top sides.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes, it's just like a regular bulb and socket, so unless the lamp or bulb is extra big or extra small it should all be compatible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts