Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm making Sasha a new cage with a solid wooden top. At the moment she has a c and c cage with a 100w CHE. However as her new cage is 4' x 20", I need to upgrade her heating situation, I could get another Che and hang them at the top of her cage on either side, however I am worried about them being so close to the wood and being a fire risk since they get so hot. I was looking at some alternatives and found this: http://www.sweeterheater.com
Does anyone have any experience with anything like this?

I've attached a picture of the cage I've built so far, not finished it, still needs legs and a paint job. A c and c cage (with plexiglass not coroplast) is being made to fit in it. If anyone has some ideas on how to heat it I would be very appreciative!

Also added a photo of her cause why not :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I'm currently using a similar product for my ball python's enclosure. I'm still not sure what I think of the effectiveness in terms of use with hedgehogs. It works well for my ball python - they're meant to heat objects more than the air, which means they create good basking spots for reptiles by heating the tank objects for them to curl up on. When I talked to someone from the website I ordered from, they weren't sure they would be appropriate for a hedgehog.

That said, with my ball python's enclosure, the panel is ensuring the enclosure stays around 78-81F on the cooler side & several degrees warmer on the warmer side. That's measured with a thermometer on the cool side & temp gun pointed at various areas on the warm side. So I'm starting to think it might work for a hedgehog enclosure & considering getting a second one to try for Bindi.

This is the website where I got mine - http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels I think they're cheaper than the site you linked, and I adore this company. I've ordered numerous times from them & had great experiences every time - they even caught an error I made in ordering last time (wrong size bulb for the fixture I was buying) & fixed it for me before sending out the order! You might want to message to double check with them that it's safe to mount them on a wood enclosure. I think it would be fine, but just in case! Mine's mounted on a PVC enclosure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts