Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few days ago I brought a small, smooth plastic to Cassandra, just to see if she'd be interested in it. She wasn't. No pushing, no chasing, nothing of the sort. Then, a few days ago, I used some aluminum foil to bring her a little scrambled egg to eat. When she was finished, I rolled the foil into a ball and just dropped it near Cassandra: she immediately started chasing it, pushing it around with her nose, and finally bit into it, lifted it up, and started carrying it around. It was quite fun to watch, but I was scared she could ingest some of it if it came apart, so I didn't leave it in her room. Today I tried the experiment again, and once again she started carrying the aluminum foil ball around, and finally went hiding under some furniture with her precious ball. I tried taking it away from her and dropping it nearby, and she always seems to chase and charge at it. I'm not really sure whether she thinks it's prey, if she wants to eat it, or if she's just playing. What I noticed though is that she had some food nearby, and neglected it to go and carry the ball around.
What could it be?

I don't think it'd be safe to give her some foil balls as toys to play with, so what can be a good alternative? My mom brought some hard plastic rattling toys too, but Cassandra was biting into them a bit too much and I was scared she could hurt her teeth with those if she actually thought they were food. So, what else could work?

·
Registered
Cassie is ten months old, weighs 496 grams and her favorite food is cat food!
55 Posts
My hedgehog is really attracted to shiny things so maybe thats why? There’s a toy called a crinkle ball that kinda looks like a foil ball if you wanna try that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I give my hedgehog crinkle balls and she loves them! Especially the blue ones for some reason. She pushes them into her igloo if they are in the cage and snuggles with them in the fleece. You can find them in the cat toy section of petsmart and just get 2-3 to put in the cage!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts