Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is over 2 months old now, and she is growing at such a rapid rate! :shock: My boyfriend and I found a nice bigger cage that we can renovate that would be great for her.... got lots more ground space, and different levels with little ramps that she can run up and down so she will have more to explore and she will be getting more exercise, apart from her wheel.

She seems to have settled in well in her current home, but at the speed in which she is growing - it is getting too small for her.
If we move her to a new home, how will this affect her {i.e. her moods, sleeping and eating habits}?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
My little guy just got a new home also, I just put him in there a few times after play time to let him roam around when he was awake and let him sleep back in his old cage. The next day i put him in the new cage with all of his stuff and he sniffed around some more and went straight to the food dish and ate, then went on to his normal hedgehog ways and took a nap in his house. He loves all the extra space, its funny to listen to him at night get off the wheel trample over get some water then go back to running LOL

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ash88 said:
different levels with little ramps that she can run up and down so she will have more to explore and she will be getting more exercise, apart from her wheel.
Ramps are not good for hedgehogs. They may walk off the ramp and be injured. Ramps need to be closed in.

·
Registered
912 Posts
2SloSHOs said:
My little guy just got a new home also, I just put him in there a few times after play time to let him roam around when he was awake and let him sleep back in his old cage. The next day i put him in the new cage with all of his stuff and he sniffed around some more and went straight to the food dish and ate, then went on to his normal hedgehog ways and took a nap in his house.
Sounds like a good idea to me. When mine has to go in her travel cottage (a smaller cage than her Tommy 120), she doesn't eat the first night. When I put her in there just to clean out/fix up her big house one day, she went completely diva - tried climbing out, so I put her wheel in and *gasp* she wheeled in broad daylight to work off the excited energy. Good news is: on all occasions, she does calm down and appears her usual self after she's been able to wheel in there.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
When using ramps and levels they have to be fully enclosed with a non climbable full height barrier so hedgie cannot walk or fall off the edge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hedgiepets said:
Ramps are not good for hedgehogs. They may walk off the ramp and be injured. Ramps need to be closed in.
I had a ramp up to the 2nd level in my cage, I noticed him looking over the edge and decided to take it out, im thinking of building a fence deal around the upper level and putting a tube around a ramp for him to get up top.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nancy said:
When using ramps and levels they have to be fully enclosed with a non climbable full height barrier so hedgie cannot walk or fall off the edge.
Ok, that makes sense.... I believe that they are very sensitive. The level isn't that high, about 10-15cm.... is that enough for them to get hurt?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ash88 said:
Nancy said:
Ok, that makes sense.... I believe that they are very sensitive. The level isn't that high, about 10-15cm.... is that enough for them to get hurt?
Could be if they did a face plant, i dont imagine it would be to good for their necks....Why risk it?

I had my Hedgie on my lap and he tried to get off of my knee and he did a face plant right into the cushion, i don't think hedgehogs take well to jumping off of stuff. I'd hold off until you can make sure your little guy wont get injured.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great, thanks for all the advice! :D Will make sure we are able to do the necessary adjustments before we change homes....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually read somwhere on animal planets web page about hedghogs but apparently when they clim small trees they have a hard time getting down but if they do fall they use there quils as a cushin. Apparently that's another advantage for the quils not only in defensive of an attacking pray but using them as springs in case they fall.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I actually read somwhere on animal planets web page about hedghogs but apparently when they clim small trees they have a hard time getting down but if they do fall they use there quils as a cushin. Apparently that's another advantage for the quils not only in defensive of an attacking pray but using them as springs in case they fall.
Unfortunately, most pet hedgies are tame enough not to quill up all the way during a fall to effectively protect them... even if they did they can still sustain life-threatening injuries. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LizardGirl said:
Unfortunately, most pet hedgies are tame enough not to quill up all the way during a fall to effectively protect them... even if they did they can still sustain life-threatening injuries. :(
I think my Snuffles would quill up..... she seems more wild than tame! :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts