Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before or has any suggestions.
Gretta is aprox 2 years old. She hasn't really had any health problems before. Over the past month or so, I've noticed that her urine has a much stronger smell than it did before.
Both my hedgies have Carefresh bedding and I spot clean daily and change out the entire cage every 5 days or so. Lucy's cage never smells as badly as Gretta's does. They both eat the same food.
I washed down both of their cages today with a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar, washed all their toys, etc.
Gretta has never gone to the bathroom outside her cage with the exception of a car ride. I can't think of anyway to see if her urine is normal as she never pees when I have her out. Even in the bath she doesn't pee or poop.
Could she have a urinary infection? She seems fine otherwise- eating, drinking, playing. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Can you replace either the bedding under her wheel (if you have a litterbox) or her bedding in general with a white baby blanket, pillow case, etc.? Just for a night or so, so you can see what color her urine is. I think I'd be a bit concerned with it being a new change, personally. I'm just not sure if smell alone warrants a vet visit. Perhaps a vet call to see if smell can be an indication of infection? Nancy might know as well.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can try that. I'm not sure what colour dried hedgie urine is supposed to look like. But it would give me an idea if its really dark.
Thanks. Perhaps I'll call the vet as well to see what they say.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah. Thank you. I didn't know if it would dry and just leave a ring.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Are you sure she's drinking her regular amount of water? Concentrated urine can be a sign of dehydration.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know how to measure how much my hedgies drink. She doesn't seem like she is dehydrated (I'm assuming dehydration in hedgies would involve being less active and lethargic).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, so I'm just an idiot (someone please remind me not to post on here when I'm sick) :)
So I think I figured out the problem. With everything going on with my uncle and then me being sick, I was doing the basics as that was all I could do at the time. So while I cleaned their cages, I just got rid of the old bedding and replaced the Carefresh. When I managed to wipe down their cages with the vinegar, things got better.
Poor Gretta wasn't the smelly problem.
I'll just be walking around with a large L on my forehead...

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
:lol: Awwww. Hey, don't feel too bad, at least it was an easy solution! I'm glad nothing's wrong with Gretta! :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, Gretta is fine. Her mother on the other hand... ;)

Reactions: Lilysmommy
1 - 11 of 11 Posts