Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am looking to buy my second hedgehog but i would like the prefrence in colour.
How common is Algerian Black? or any type of black colouring. Would the prices vary ?
I have no breeders around here (closest is 4 hours away) so i will have to order from our pet store again.

Any suggestions?
Comments? Help?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Algerian blacks are EXTREMELY rare. Very few of the hedgies actually labeled black by people are actually black, and when one actually is, they are usually kept amongst breeders to try and incorporate the hedgie into their herd. I've never seen one for sale but I'd assume if someone was actually willing to sell one as a pet (and a female, at that) that the owner would charge far more for it than a more common color.

Where are you located again? Canada? Have you tried looking for a hedgie that is in need of a new home, opposed to buying from a pet store?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
4 hours really isn't that far to drive for a hedgie from a breeder. I have a lady driving 14 hours to be here on Saturday to pick up a baby, and another lady from the same city is on my waiting list. I am driving 36 hours in April to pick up some hedgies....Its really worth the 4 hour drive to have one from a breeder rather than a pet store.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I'll look into the breeders around here (yes I'm in Canada)

What's a more uncommon color, like a apricot or any of those.
I guess it all depends on the breeder.. Do you reccomend any breeders in calgay,lethbridge, golden, banff area?

·
Registered
43 Posts
rebeccaeric18 said:
Okay I'll look into the breeders around here (yes I'm in Canada)

What's a more uncommon color, like a apricot or any of those.
I guess it all depends on the breeder.. Do you reccomend any breeders in calgay,lethbridge, golden, banff area?
I just moved to Victoria from Lethbridge, and I know that there are NO breeders in that area. I hunted around for months! The closest one is in Golden, but she keeps saying that she is not going to be breeding anymore, so I don't know if she is or not...

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have no breeders around here (closest is 4 hours away) so i will have to order from our pet store again.
rebeccaeric18 said:
Im not supporting pet shops in any way.
Anyway.
I contacted Planet Hedgehog, and will probably purchase from there!
I am so confused.

·
Registered
43 Posts
krbshappy71 said:
rebeccaeric18 said:
Im not supporting pet shops in any way.
Anyway.
I contacted Planet Hedgehog, and will probably purchase from there!
I am so confused.
Planet Hedgehog is a breeder located in the Vancouver area, not a pet store...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts