Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm freaking out just a bit, I finally got Alpheus a heat lamp. I got him the Fluker's Clamp Lamp for 150watt, and I got him the All Living things 150watt bulb. Maybe 10 minutes of it being on I hear a sizzle and look over to see a hot orange blob drip off the lamp on to his home. The lamp itself was bright orange in the middle and the very center was bubbling. I immediately turned off the lamp and let it cool. I paid 45 dollars for that bulb. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Whoa. :shock: I don't think I've ever heard of that happening with any CHE bulb, not on here anyway! I have no clue what might've happened, but I'd definitely take it back and demand a refund, at the very least.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: "Ceramic" Heating lamp melting?!

Take it back immediately. Heating elements do have problems with malfunctions sometimes, like heating pads. I've had I discard many heating pads for starting to burn. I use zoo med CHE, and I haven't had problems from them. It's usually a circuitry problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where do you live? Is your electricity 120 volts or 240 volts? If your voltage is wrong it could cause the CHE to go beyond its operating conditions. Could also be that the CHE wasn't made entirely of ceramic and there might have been metal inside that melted. Don't know how it could have gotten hot enough to go through ceramic. Just be glad the molten metal or whatever it was didn't hit your hedgie because that could probably have killed him. :O

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I switched it out for another of the same, it's the only brand my Petsmart seems to carry. It's working fine so far :) but it has to be a lot closer yo the cage than the box recommended for proper temperature. it's about 4in from the cage and a foot from her igloo. and the thermometer (which i know works) says 84 degrees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts