Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oakleys new cage came today and I set it up tonight with 2 150 watt ceramic heat
emitters. The bulbs are both new, but the lamps themselves were the ones I was using for puff and Chloe ( I bought them diff ones). They're the kind with the dimmers where u can adjust the heat but no matter where I turn the dial to my lamps make this horrible horrible high pitched screeching/ whining sound and they smell like they're burning.

I faintly remember the burning smell from when I first got my other heat bulbs but I jut wanted to make sure this is just a normal new bulb smell and that it goes away.
And that it's not a fire hazard, I am already so very paranoid about my heat lamps as it is!

Will the screeching go away too? I don't know if my hedgies can hear it but I sure can and it's driving me nuts!! I had to turn one lamp off completely it was so bad. Thankfully the one is keeping the cage warm enough for now.

I've tried taking the bulb out and putting it back in a few times buy nothing works.

Has anyone had similar problems? Does the sound bother your hedgehogs? And does it go away eventually or should I try a diff bulb?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The burning smell with a new emitter is normal but also make sure the emitter isn't touching the wires of the cage.

The sound can happen sometimes with the rheostat fixtures. If they didn't make the sound with the bulbs Puff and Chloe had, I'd switch back. Sometimes it's the bulb that causes it to make the noise, sometimes it's the fixture, and sometimes it's just where you have the switch set.

I've used one that made the noise. It wasn't loud and could only be heard when right beside the fixture.

·
Registered
208 Posts
it think it's the little motor inside the dimmer making the screeching noise. i get that problem with my timers sometimes. best thing to do.... just buy a new one.... unfortunately. i've found that they really mess up if the power goes out and they aren't plugged into a power bar. i've lost 3 timers and 2 heat lamps because of power outages and things not being plugged into proper power bars.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The rheostat on the fixture don't have a motor. Rheostats are a coil of wire that a metal thingy rides on and depending on where it is set there is more or less resistance which allows more or less electricity to pass. How's that for a really unscientific explanation. :lol: They are different than timers which do have motors.

Rheostats of any type sometimes make a buzzing or humming sound and I've got fixtures that were brand new that made the noise right from day one. Sometimes it is the particular bulb or emitter that causes the problem.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's the new bulb combined with the dimmer function that's doing it. The new heat lamps I bougth for Puff and Chloe don't have dimmers since I couldn't find ones with dimmers anymore, so I think I will put the new bulbs in those and the olds bulbs in the ones with dimmers. Hopefully no one will buzz anymore after that!

The smell does seem to be improving too.

Nancy said:
The burning smell with a new emitter is normal but also make sure the emitter isn't touching the wires of the cage.
Do you mean the bulb itself or the heat lamp? Because mine rest on top of my wires, they always have, is this bad? I can definitely try prop them up so their aren't touching the wires, but they don't seem to want to stay.

Another thing, is that I have Puff's cage half under a table right now, so the part of the cage with the ceramic heat emitter is under the table. It's not touching or anything and there's a good 2-3 inch clearance but the metal and wood parts of the table seem to be quite warm. Should I be concerned about this as a fire hazard?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The bulb itself will definitely smell when first used. Sometimes the fixtures can emit an odor as well and sometimes if the bulb is close to the wires of the cage, that can smell too. It's just from the paint getting warm and will quit happening after a couple of times it's on. Having the fixture rest directly on the wires is fine.

As for the wood getting warm, ideally it shouldn't. I don't know if it would be a fire hazard or not. It would depend on how warm it's getting. I think I'd move it just to be safe.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Nancy.

I was scared there for a second!

I think my lamps are ok now as they are. I switched the bulbs around and now as long as the dimmers are turned fully on there's no more noise.

I didnt move the one out from under the table cause I couldn't get the cord to reach the plug if I did. The table really isn't all that warm but told my mom to monitor it really closely over the weekend but it's suppose to be really hot in Calgary this weekend so I don't think the heat lamps will be on very much anyways. I'll have to
figure out some way to move it on Sunday.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts