Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, is catnip okay to give to a hedge? Pacifically, I was going to give them some catnip filled toys like you'd give a cat, but I figured I should check and make sure that there are no issues first.

I don't expect the catnip to do anything to them per-se, I was thinking they'd like the smell, as they seem to go for things with strong odors.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I was wondering the same as we have some really cute cat nip halloween toys where I work.

I seem to remember this being discussed a while back but can't remember the verdict.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=280&p=2046&hilit=cat+nip+toys#p2046

I did a search and found this. Seems like cat nip is an unknown but something people have risked. I wouldn't think it would be dangerous in a toy unless your hedgehog pulls it apart and ingests the cat nip. Since hedgehog's are not known for destroying toys then that seems unlikely to me.

Edit (again): more results from my on-going search. It takes some fiddling with terms to get what I'm looking for. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=961&p=8294&hilit=catnip+toys#p8294 this one only mentions catnip briefly.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My hedgie has a little mouse that has some catnip in it. I did some reading before I gave it to her. Consensus was that it was okay to give her.

Mostly, she ignores it unless she's in a new place like the vet's office... then she cuddles with it. She has chomped on it's tail a few times... ie, the non-catnip part. Once she gave it a bath - she put it in her water dish. It's been through the washing machine a few times.

While I wouldn't feed a hedgie catnip... just don't see the point in bothering to try... I think small cat toys are okay to play with provided other parts check out - ie, no small parts hedgie could bite off and choke on, no exposed threads where hedgie could get a toenail stuck, etc...

Edit to add: you can see a pic of her HouseMouse in my avatar.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just bought my hedgehog a catnip toy today. She responded to it very well. She sniffed it a lot then got much more energetic than normal. I would def try it out, they are only a few bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts