Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm pretty new to the hedgie community, but i do have a question about feeding cat food to hedgies.. to the reason being: I have 4 sugar gliders (yes i do know they are different) and LOTS of people used to say feed them cat food, a high quality cat food that high in protein and low in fat.(pretty much the same as they do for hedgies) but then people started talking with their vets and came up with different diet special to their needs. for example, i feed my suggies HPW diet. its a powder from Australia and was made for Marsupials. now in the glider community their is like over 4 or 5 diets to choose from. all that you make at home following a recipe.

so i was wondering if anyone has tried working with their vet to come up with a diet just for hedgies? like researching what is supplemented to the baby hedgies in Britain, Europe and parts of Africa and see if you mixed that with whatever else to make a complete hedgie diet.

i do know their are "hedgie" food at the petstores but i'm not talking about that as from what i read its no good just like the suggie ones...

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I'm sure someone has tried a raw/homemade diet before, but I've never heard any results. The problem is, we don't know exactly what values of everything our pet hedgies need. Cat food supplemented with insects seems the best at this time. If you end up working something out with your vet, we'd like to hear it! New diet options would be an interesting thing to look in to. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts