Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched my hedgehog from the silent spinner to the Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel and it has been about a month. Hezzie really loves his new wheel and runs excessively every night. Although I have it tilted + litter pan, I am still finding the wheel very, very, very dirty. I think this is because of the urine mixing with poop..creating a bad paste that coats the whole wheel and dries to it.

Can you share some techniques or experiences with cleaning this type of wheel?
What is the angle that you have it tilted on, does it make it cleaner?

I have thought of drilling a small hole for drainage...but do not want that to catch his toes :( .. I also read that some people use plastic wrap, but it seems a bit wasteful??

Thanks.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I originally had my boy's wheel tilted too to help him use it more easily but yeah he excessively runs on it and most mornings it was filthy (including the back base of the wheel! ><). I gradually started tilting the wheel back to a more straight position so at least now the poop and pee 'paste' isn't splattered on the base anymore and he still runs on it fine.

I oringially used pet friendly wipes to clean the wheel daily then a more thorough clean once a week with soapy water and a 50/50 water and white vinegar spray, but the daily wipes weren't wet enough to get off the dried poop etc and also the wheel top coat started peeling off in places! ><. So now I just use soaked paper towels (water only) to clean it every morning and normally 3 is enough to get it clean! I then use the 50/50 water vinegar spray on it about once a week or whenever it starts smelling a bit. I'm not sure what was the cause of the top coat to start peeling off so I just use water on a daily basis now. Whatever you use make sure it isn't too stong to cause the top wax coating to erode! ><

1 - 3 of 3 Posts