Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my Wibbles for about a year and a half and he's always been in Carefresh bedding. He seems to love it. Digs around in it a lot and will spend 15-20 minutes digging and moving it around in his igloo to burrow in it to sleep. Whenever he's asleep, he's ALWAYS in a nest of bedding and I've had no issues with it. It does get into his quills but he'll nestle in my lap and I'll get down in his quills with tweezers to pull the little clumps of bedding out and he seems to enjoy the grooming (while he HATES baths and water). Also, he is one of the stubborn hedgies that refused to potty train, so he is not a neat and clean hedgie.

But I've done a lot of reading on here about how the fleece is better for hedgies -- but I feel so guilty taking away his "fluff" as I call it! When I've put him on fleece in a playpen on the floor, he does this weird jump/pop/flip thing like he's trying to force something to fluff up so he can bury himself in it. I have snuggle sacks for when he's cuddling with me, but he doesn't seem too interested in them so I can't see them being a good burrowing replacement for the Carefresh if I swapped to fleece. He also tugs and chews on almost all fabric / most experience is with a cotton shirt or my sheets. I'm afraid with the fleece though he'll end up pulling pieces off and swallowing them.

So - for those of you who are big fleece liner advocates, do you think I should make the switch? Do you have recommendations for the chewing/pulling? Or how to satisfy his love to burrow if I take away the "fluff"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hi there! I'm sure your little one is pretty comfortable with his Carefresh bedding but he may just come to love fleece too...if you decide to switch! You can always give it a shot and see if he will adjust, even if it takes a few days/weeks.

I used Carefresh when I first got my hedgie but switched to fleece after a few weeks. I love it because its easy to clean (throw in the wash) and its cheaper in the long run once you make the initial investment in the fleece. As far as something for hedgie to dig in/move around I use fleece strips. I cut up smaller pieces of fleece and put them in his igloo. He likes to nestle around in there to get comfortable...I've even seen him pick them up one by one and rearrange a nice comfortable spot to sleep in. We also cut some (slightly larger) fleece squares. I usually put one or two in his igloo with the fleece strips and somehow he ends up cuddling under them. Often times when I lift his igloo to take him out in the evening it looks like he is using the fleece squares as a little blanket haha.

I have read lots about hogs that "liner dive" so my solution for that was to place Velcro on the bottom of each liner and the cage to secure it and stop him from ever attempting that. And like I mentioned the fleece strips seems to satisfy his need to borrow in his sleeping area.

Hope that helps with your decision!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
193 Posts
I personally prefer a fleece blanket as bedding because, like LilBallOfHedgehog stated, it is a lot more economical. However, unless Wibbles is litter trained, there may be a case of "poop smears" practically every morning, from my experience. There will also be a strong peepee smell (yuck). I would still recommend fleece bedding though, just because it seems to keep Wonton warm and cozy, and it is dust-free. If you are going for fleece, make sure you buy at least two, so you can alternate them (one in use, one in the wash), and maybe even have another one on standby. Haha. For the digging and burrowing, Wonton seems to be fine with my tshirts. But again, I have read about the fleece strips, but since Wonton currently does not have a litter box, I'm afraid of her getting poop stains on each and every strip (the horror of washing them -shiver-)

Good luck with your decision! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts