Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://jvdi.org/cgi/reprint/12/5/468.pdf

I just wanted to share a research article I came across about cardiomyopathy in african pygmy hedgehogs while searching for reasons for Chloe's unexplained weight loss. I found the paper quite interesting, so I'd thought I'd share. Since weight loss and annorexia were both symptoms noticed in quite a few of the cases, I'm considering it as a possibility for Chloe too.

As an update, Chloe has actually stopped losing weight for the time being, and seems to be staying at a constant 450g. Her eating has actually increased too. I was holding off on the bloodwork and xrays to give the higher fat diet I'm feeding Chloe more time to kick in, and it's finally starting to work. She's not gaining any weight back, but not losing any either.

But now I'm torn whether or not to go ahead and run the tests or not. It could very well be that she just needed a few weeks for the higher fat diet to start working. But then again if she really does have something wrong ie. her heart, the high fat diet could be causing more harm.

The problem is my vet's office only offers a basic blood panel for hedgehogs (liver, kidneys, WBC count, etc.) and anything that could be causing the problem ie. thyroid has to be tested for on a separate more $ specialized test, same with diabetes (not even sure if they know how to test for this actually)...and they've never dealt with either of these health issues with hedgehogs there before (diabetes or hyperthyroidism in hedgehogs).

Hmm...dilemma much? If only it wasn't going to cost me over $500 to do everything... :roll: sigh. Do you think if she's stopped losing weight I should just give it a few more weeks to see if she starts gaining again?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
If she has stopped losing weight and picked up eatting I'd wait a little while longer before doing the specialized testing. I'd wait for more opinions but to me it seems as if she is rebounding to be showing improvements with the amount of food she is eatting and that she is able to maintain her weight.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks hedgieonboard, thanks kind of what I'm thinking too.

I will spend the money on her if neccessary, but I don't want to go ahead and spend that much money if it's not needed, especially when I might need it later for other hedgehog emergencies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts