Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our hedgie for 4 weeks now. She was 8 weeks when we got her from a pet store. She has a 12 inch large comfort wheel. I have it zip tied to the cage and it has a hair tie behind wheel. Both help stabilize it. It does not seem shaky to me at all.

The issue I have is she flat out does not run on it. I have marked the wheel with a marker to mark the spot and everyday it is in the same spot. There is also never any droppings on it. I set her on it every time we put her back in her cage after play time and she freaks out and hops right off. I have tried enticing with meal worms (she doesn't like them either) or other treats and she won't even bother eating them if they are up there. When we got her she was just received to to exotic pet store the day before and they got her from a breeder. We got the paperwork on it so it seemed legit. In her cage at the pet store she did not have a wheel. I don't know if the breeder gives all the hedgies a wheel or not.

My concern is not so much the wheel but her health . EVERYTHING you read about hedgies says they have to have a wheel. She gets 30mins to an hour of out of cage play time every day and her cage has a ramp and second story so she has plenty of room to roam. But I'm afraid she will become obese pretty quick if I don't find a solution soon.

Most people would recommend me to buy a bucket or cake topper wheel but I can't see myself justifying the $40-$50 investment on it for her to just ignore that one as well.

Any help or tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was having the same problem.., and it ended up being too much light. I covered his cage and viola...wheels away!

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Try putting a bit of flour on the wheel and look for tracks in the morning. Comfort wheels will often always end up stopping in the same spot because of not being perfectly balanced. I have one girl that runs and runs all night but never messes on her wheel, maybe your hedgehog is just very clean?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had that same problem with the wheel, trust me, its a pain I have that same comfort wheel as well. what I did was dimmed the lights and put her on the wheel, and then put my hand/arm in front of it, that kinda forced her to run on the wheel, after she realized that the wheel was fun, I never had to do it again, and I cant keep her off it at night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts