Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my 8 week old baby for about a week now and the past few days i’ve noticed some inactivity at night. he’s been quilling and he’s quite young so is that why? he comes out to eat (he eats just fine) and i can hear him scratching a lot but he doesn’t really touch his wheel. i also just put a new wheel in there, but he was starting to use his old one less and less anyways. the new wheel is a bucket wheel from etsy so idk why he wouldn’t use it.

i also changed his heat setup bc i was finally able to find a 10in dome. he’s on a CHE now (rather than a space heater) and it’s able to keep him warmer, but i’ve noticed the warmer it is the more he is inactive. now it’s to the point where i’m scared if i go any lower he will try to hibernate (it’s at a consistant 74-76 degrees).

please let me know if you guys have experienced this behavior as well! should i lower the temp or put his old wheel in (i don’t want to stress him with too much change though) is this concerning enough that i would need to go to the vet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve had my 8 week old baby for about a week now and the past few days i’ve noticed some inactivity at night. he’s been quilling and he’s quite young so is that why? he comes out to eat (he eats just fine) and i can hear him scratching a lot but he doesn’t really touch his wheel. i also just put a new wheel in there, but he was starting to use his old one less and less anyways. the new wheel is a bucket wheel from etsy so idk why he wouldn’t use it.

i also changed his heat setup bc i was finally able to find a 10in dome. he’s on a CHE now (rather than a space heater) and it’s able to keep him warmer, but i’ve noticed the warmer it is the more he is inactive. now it’s to the point where i’m scared if i go any lower he will try to hibernate (it’s at a consistant 74-76 degrees).

please let me know if you guys have experienced this behavior as well! should i lower the temp or put his old wheel in (i don’t want to stress him with too much change though) is this concerning enough that i would need to go to the vet?
Does he know how to use this new wheel? I now I had to put my two in the wheel and move it so they would be walking. My boy is less active than his sister. He perfers digging in his box and playing with tubes rather than the wheel. He gets really cozy in the heat and doesn't want to move when comfortable

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.