Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've got kind of a random question about pintos. (hopefully posting this in the right board). From what I understand, pinto hedgies get their patchy colorations from the skin underneath. Does this mean that the patterns are fixed as they grow, or throughout quilling, can the patches change shape/size? Is it still possible for them to snowflake?

I'm just curious about how pintos "work" as far as the coloring. Mine is coming home in 2-4 weeks and I've just been wondering since I picked him out. :D (today haha)

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Nope, pinto markings will stay the same. They are basically spots on the skin without pigment, making the quills white. You can have a snowflake pinto, snowflake is white quills on regular colored skin. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok that makes sense. So the normally pigmented quills can end up snowflaking.. since they're just like normal quills. Right?

[edit] nevermind I re-read your post again and it was very clear.

Thanks a bunch! :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Pinto markings can get smaller as they grow. The whole back half of my Lucy's body was pink skinned and quills and gradually continued to shrink until she was left with just a quarter sized pinto spot on each back hip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.