Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've had my hedgehog for almost two years and she has used the same bedding the whole time. It is a wood chip bedding and I'm not sure the exact type, but I doubt it's aspen because we buy it really cheap in big bags. I want to switch the type of bedding she uses, but I'm having some problems. Paper bedding is too expensive. My dad doesn't want to pay for it, and since I can't get a job, I can't either. Fleece liners would be great, but my hedgehog likes to burrow and they wouldn't work with her cage. She has two bins attached with a PVC pipe and they're too high for her to get into if I used liners. So I thought about fleece strip and wondered if they would work as full bedding. She could still burrow, they would fill the cage enough, and I'm sure they would be pretty inexpensive. Is this good bedding for a hedgehog?

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
507 Posts
Sounds good to me! The only problem would be washing them if you wanted to reuse them. You could put them in a big pillowcase or something, but sounds like your hedgehog will like it :)

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
The only problem would be washing them if you wanted to reuse them. You could put them in a big pillowcase or something
This part could be difficult. While a pillowcase could get urine out, small pieces of poop and food would still be stuck inside. I'd vote for trying the liners. Keep in mind a liner can simply be multiple pieces of fleece, make it as thick as you want it to be. She may burrow at first, but given time to figure it out she will likely stop. I've had plenty of rescues come in who had never seen a liner, and given about 2 weeks, they stopped burrowing. A couple continued, but I rearranged items so that it wouldn't cause water/food spillage and gave them other items in their cage to burrow under. Eventually they stopped.

How high up is that PVC pipe? If she has mobility issues, or that pipe is really too high, you can always fold a piece of fabric or put something else solid under the liner for her to step up on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of throwing out the old strips and replacing them when I need to clean her cage. I suppose I could try liners though, and maybe I could fit some sort of dig box in her cage so she can still burrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I use fleece in the cage for the liner double with a pad in between. In addition cut the remnants into strips which I put into the two little huts I made for Fufflepuff. I change them and they can be washed. Buy a lingerie bag to put in the washer. I do examine for large deposits smaller stuff will wash off. Been doing this for over 3 years. I just spot clean his stuff prior to washing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use fleece baby blankets I got from the dollar store for my hedgehog. Underneath, I have a dog pee pad to soak up anything that might go through. I have quite a few blankets and switch them out every few days. When they are dirty, first I hand wash them and then I throw them in the washing machine to do a doubly good job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! I've had my hedgehog for almost two years and she has used the same bedding the whole time. It is a wood chip bedding and I'm not sure the exact type, but I doubt it's aspen because we buy it really cheap in big bags. I want to switch the type of bedding she uses, but I'm having some problems. Paper bedding is too expensive. My dad doesn't want to pay for it, and since I can't get a job, I can't either. Fleece liners would be great, but my hedgehog likes to burrow and they wouldn't work with her cage. She has two bins attached with a PVC pipe and they're too high for her to get into if I used liners. So I thought about fleece strip and wondered if they would work as full bedding. She could still burrow, they would fill the cage enough, and I'm sure they would be pretty inexpensive. Is this good bedding for a hedgehog?
I use fleece in my hedgy’s cage. She loves it! She burrows under it a lot!! I use strips in a plastic box that those little glass beads on the bottom, and that’s a treat box. The objective is to hide treats under the the glass beads (like the nickel size glass beads you put in vases for decoration) and the fleece strips on top. She digs in there until she finds a treat. 😊. I wash my fleece in Kroger brand baby detergent, so the smell of detergent isn’t overwhelming. I use a bin under her wheel and put paper bedding in it only, since that is where she normally goes. And if she tracks it on the fleece, you usually can take a baby wipe and pick it off and it comes up whole and dried. I think her heat lamp dries it out better, so it’s easier to clean it off without having to wash everyday. I do recommend getting a few pieces of it, if you do it in whole pieces like I do. That way you can wash it once a week, twice if really bad, and still have backup. I also use old T-shirt’s under her house for extra padding and warmth. She seems to like it like that! ❤ Good luck with it! Fleece is super cheap… especially the size you would need for her cage. 😊

1 - 7 of 7 Posts