Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. So I will try to make this post as little complicated as possible. My female will be 6 months old on the 17th of this month (November) and I was planning on breeding her with my male who just turned 1. I have a couple people already lined up to adopt here in my area, the only problem is that I'm moving away in April, so I was hoping to have babies ready to leave before then. My second problem is that I'm going away for basically a whole month to Florida for the holidays to visit family. I will be leaving roughly 12/16 and coming back 1/16. I wasn't planning on breeding them until I get back but when I did the math of courtship (7 days to 14 days, waiting a week in-between) gestation (35 or so days) and then weaning process (approx 50 days) means it will take around 13-14 weeks. That's cutting it close.

So, my question is, can I travel with my pregnant female? (obviously would be extremely early in the pregnancy as I would court them right before leaving) We will be driving from Upstate NY to North Florida. They will both be in their own carrier with heating components and lots of fleece and a constant source of food and water. When in florida, they have their own travel cages that are large enough to live comfortably.

Thank you for the help.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
My first question is do you have 4-5 generation pedigrees on both of them that can be checked to make sure there hasn't been any instance of WHS in either of their ancestry? If you don't have this then they should not be bred.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first question is do you have 4-5 generation pedigrees on both of them that can be checked to make sure there hasn't been any instance of WHS in either of their ancestry? If you don't have this then they should not be bred.
I do (5-6 actually), if I did not then I would not be breeding them.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Sorry many people don't so that's why I had to ask.

Personally I wouldn't travel with a pregnant mom. You want to limit as much stress as possible and travelling can be very stressful for them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry many people don't so that's why I had to ask.

Personally I wouldn't travel with a pregnant mom. You want to limit as much stress as possible and travelling can be very stressful for them.
Definitely understandable. Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts