Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Layla from a gal that couldn't have pets anymore, and when I got her she was used to going potty inside her wheel. She's about 4 now and regularly uses her wheel as her bathroom. I have no idea if I can train her to use a litterbox or not... and if adult hedgies can still be litterbox trained, how in the world am I supposed to do it??

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
99% of hedgehogs use their wheel to potty on. You can't break that but putting a litter box under her wheel will catch any that falls off and sometimes they catch on. Often they have a corner or spot in the cage that they use and a litter box in that spot might work as well. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
RalphsDad decided that Ralph needed to use a litter box a few weeks ago (Ralph is about 6 months old) since Ralph poops mostly in the same place. Ralph however, has other ideas and just schleps over his litter box on his way to his wheel. Any poop that ends up in the litter box is due to better luck than judgement. :lol:
Train Ralph? Probably not. Other hedgies? Maybe? :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, I guess what I'm doing now is the best I can do... I've got a litterbox under her wheel and that catches most of it. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
lmashbri6983 said:
Hmm, I guess what I'm doing now is the best I can do... I've got a litterbox under her wheel and that catches most of it. Thanks guys!
I would guess that 90% of the people here do that. :lol: You're not alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts