Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i accidentally dropped a mealworm into my hedgies cage and it ended up burrowing into the bedding. I'm afraid that I cannot find the bugger and I was wondering if my hedgehog would be able to sniff out the mealworm in the bedding. Is it bad that there is a mealworm on the loose in her bedding? If worse comes to worse, I will change her bedding. Please let me know!!

·
Administrator
3,706 Posts
Some will, some won't. If your hedgehog is used to sniffing around and finding food it is likely to find the bug. I've had a couple that if there was a worm around they would root around to find it... others nope.

I don't think its anything bad if one is in there loose. The biggest danger is it getting out and you finding the worm crawling in the carpeting. It might provide a bit of a shock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks! I think my hedgehog is kinda in the middle...sometimes she's motivated to dig around for her food, and other times shes very lazy and will only eat food out of her dish. I hope she does find that mealworm (maybe she already ate him, I have no clue )

·
Registered
273 Posts
try taking ur hedgie out for a while, and put a carrot, or potato, on the bedding, and see if it comes to it for moisture. or take hedgie out, and take handfuls of bedding, and sift thru it with ur hands, and put it in a bowl, and once u find it, u can put the bedding back in!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts