Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm happy to say that tonight is our first official "cold" night here in Florida, hehe. It's 48 degrees. I know some of you are battling blizzards right now, but 50 degrees is pretty chilly around here. :lol:

Anyway, all thermostats in the apartment determine that the temperature has remained 76 degrees as the day went from 85 to 48. To me, the temperature inside feels exactly the same. But I brought Rocko out a little while ago and I thought he might have been a little cold. He kept snuggling under me and his quills and belly didn't feel as toasty as usual.

Don't worry, I turned the thermostat up a few degrees and now the apartment is nice and toasty. Rocko's running on his wheel and acting fine. I just thought it was strange that he seemed to sense that it was cold, even though the inside of the apartment felt the same to me.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If the thermometer is reading the same as normal, it should be the same as normal. The concern would be if there is a draft from the heater. Hedgies feel drafts even if they are warm drafts. If your furnace/heater is running more often because of the drop in temperature, it would be producing more draft. If there is a concern about a draft, you can use heavy clear plastic like is cut from a roll at the fabric stores. It works great to hold in warm and prevent drafts but still allows in light and view out.

Some hedgehogs also know when winter is coming. My Smokey used to get more of an appetite and put on weight, just like a bear. :lol: Come spring he'ed loose it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.