Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was planning on buying waxworms, locusts and mealworms for my hedgehog and was wondering if any of these could be kept in the same container for the sake of efficiency?
That's my main question but I have a couple more; I'm a little squeamish when it comes to fast-moving insects so picking them up with my hands is out of the question, would I get along okay with quickly transferring a locust from the box to floor/cage with a spoon or should I buy tweezers? Also since I don't plan on growing the locusts can I just keep them in the container they come in (about 10cm high with a lid) or is it important for them to be in a tall one?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I would keep them all separately, or at least the locusts should be separate from the other two. They'd likely try to eat the worms if you put them in together.

If you don't want to deal with the locusts, I'd keep them in a container for a couple nights with some fresh veggies to gutload them, then stick them in the freezer to kill them. They're a lot easier to deal with that way, and you don't have to worry about them getting loose. Otherwise yes, you should get tweezers - they're not going to stay still on a spoon & you'll likely lose them in half a second.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts