Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I'll keep this short and to the point. I'm new to hedgehogs, I've had Puffers for a week and a day so far and she's been a blast. Spent a good month researching all that I could on the care and needs for her. Tonight when I took her out for playtime, she went to the bathroom right off the bat and the urine was somewhat blood colored, tinted reddish brown with a few blood spots (size of a pin) in it.

She has not acted weird, even when out tonight, she ran around for a good five minutes in her usual manor before doing her business, then afterwards wanted to go back to bed. She ate and drank her normal amount earlier, but if member serves me correctly she always went to the bathroom directly afterwards. I checked her usual spot tonight and it was dry with no poop. And when she went tonight in her pen, it seemed like it was a lot, two good size poops (nothing unsual about their looks) but did urinate a lot, kind of pee'd and poo'd twice. First pee was the tinted, second time was normal.

She came from a home that took care of her, but not the best of care. She was in her hut with no bedding except the wood bedding they had her in (I almost think it was cedar too), cage was too small, an old ferret cage, and her cat food is 'Special Kitty' which is like saw dust, will be converting her slowly to something else. Did a straight up change and she didn't like it at all.

The only main change in her life besides a new owner and a new cage (which she likes) has been a cloth liner instead of wood bedding. Is it possible for a hog to maybe 'hold it in' due to the fact what she usually went on, is no longer available?

Obviously if she does go again and again has tinted urine, I'll be taking her for the vet to see if she has a UTI and if not, if she's got uterus problems. But I wanted to see if anyone has experienced a hog that wouldn't go due to a change of bedding. I will go out tommorrow and will be creating an outhouse for her, with wood bedding inside. Thanks in advance.

D.W.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update - She's been to my usual vet who claimed to have the education on taking care of a hedgehog, but I think its bull. He didn't do x-rays nor draw urine directly from her bladder. I live in a very rural area of New York, going to call around to a few other vets in the region, and if no one claims to have the knowledge on hedgehogs, I'll take her to the Watertown Animal Hospital which is listed here on the vet list. I also believe she has mites, not a horrid case but she seems to scratch often long after she has woken up, another reason I'm not exactly liking my vet (this is the usual vet I use for my other animals). Besides that she seems to be a very healthy hog. Very friendly, puffy when touched at random or picked up, but never has balled up, hissed or clicked at me, and after about a second from being picked up is fine. She's an explorer so she'll wiggle and wants to explore me.

There's two things though that have kind of concerned me. First when she is out and about in her playpen (a 4 foot by 4 foot square made from two boards that I've hinged together, so it can be broken down and put away), she goes to one wall (always the one near the tv) and will go back and forth along it, sometimes the full length but sometimes just within a foot of space. She's got hiding places, and I know I've read that its not unusal for hogs to do circles or even figure 8s, but she does it constantly despite having all sorts of toys in her pen (tubes, balls, paper towel tubes and a box she enjoys getting under and pushing around like a mini tank). Even as I type this she is doing the march back and forth. At some point she'll break off and wander around other places or play with her toys, but she does this a lot. I will note she doesn't have a wheel yet, she didn't have one with her old family who didn't take the best care of her, after I'm done with this post I'll be ordering her a Carolina Storm Wheel.

The second thing is something I just noticed tonight. She was eating her kibble, she likes to get half way into the dish and dig around for it, but she was chewing on some kibble and I noticed that she was urinating while she was chewing/eating. Urine was perfectly healthy but I found this really strange as I know I've read they're not suppose to go to the bathroom where they eat or sleep. I have also notice wetness where she sleeps, a big enough puddle that I know she's not just drooling in her sleep. I'm pondering if its possible for a hedgehog to be incontinent or possibly just the way her old family had raised her.

She came in an old ferret cage that was not big enough, her 'hut' must be an old ferret house or something, its HUGE and took up most of the cage space, she had like 6 inches of play on either side. She was also on bedding and I'm not sure, not having any animals who used wood bedding but I swear to god they had her on cedar. She is now on a cloth liner and I've actually been trying to see if she'll take up using a litter box. I'm using a box filled with aspen bedding thinking since she was living with wood bedding before, she might associate it with going to the bathroom, and actually tonight she did get into it and give me two healthy poops, but she's urinating the floor.

I was also worried today because she did nothing but sleep, she was up like clockwork at 7pm to drink and eat but when I put my hand in there, she kind of acted 'pissy' and huffering than normal and went back to bed. I'm just guessing she was tired, she came out yesterday around 7:30 after her meal and was in her pen and active until 3am. She got up a couple of times for a quick drink and finally at midnight she came over and licked at my hand like she has been, when in a good mood.

Anways, I'll update again once I find a good vet and get her checked out, see how big of a hedgehog quack my regular vet is. The guy was probably researching them the night before her appointment, even the secretary of 2 years said she had never seen a hegehog there, but there is only one pet shop here in town (said he didn't sell them cause of the USDA license required), though he seemed to know more than the vet.

Besides that, its been a blast and I've done everything to improve on her life, she's now chilling in a Ferret Nation 142 single unit cage. Besides the health checkup and I'm sure mite treatment, she should be a happy hog compared to her previous 11 year old owner who tired of her (who had 2 dogs, 2 ferrets and god knows what else in that house).

Later Days.

Vera-Lee

PS - This was taken the first night she was home, could they have kept her in a smaller cage. I turned her house a different way the next day to at least give her more room until her new cage arrived.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Sounds like you love your new hog alot :p and kudos to you for taking her in and giving her a new chance at life :D
I got your email about the Carolina Storm Wheel this am sorry for the slow response but it came to my spam folder for some reason and I did just notice it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts