Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have herd so many people on here say that hedgehogs cant bond with its owner and cant love its owner?
even if it doesnt show it like a cat or dog i still though they could get a strong bond with there owner? so what do you think? can they?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Just wondering...Where did you hear that from?

Last I checked, everyone here thinks that you should handle your hedgie at least 30 min a day to bond with them.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Sure they can but that doesn't mean they will. Some become very bonded but there are many that want nothing at all to do with humans or their owner.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Lots of people on Yahoo Answers (if that's where you mean) don't know much about hedgehogs. I think some are probably the type of people that lost interest in the hedgie after a week and just stopped handling it, then complain that it doesn't show affection. :roll: Half of the answers seem to run along those lines or the "omg, hedgehogs are WILD, ur mean to want to keep 1 for a pet!!1" :lol: because they don't realize APHs are pets.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
They can definitely bond with their owners. Inky is a momma's boy, he isn't friendly for anyone but me. He will be as sweet as can be, then I pass him to anyone else and he's a grump. Pass him back and he's happy again. :lol:

·
Registered
396 Posts
as i am trying to be respectable, i won't add a litany of curses before my "**** YES!"...i am astounded at just how attached & loving these creatures can become. it's amazing. Henry has given up his own house, his 2 favorite hideouts, & all his playtime of his own accord...to snooze with momma. i try to get him to run & play & he's not havin' it. AT ALL. at night, when he wakes up he snuffles around me, does his nightly biting ritual, runs around the bed some, zooms down the ramp to get food & water, makes one lap around the room to perform his perfunctory hoggie exploration, & then HAULS quilly butt right back to me. :lol: there are even times he won't leave to eat or use his litter box. if that's not having a bond at the very least...i don't know what is. i mean, jeez, who gives up yummy food when they are happy? :shock: usually it's when you are sick or devastated that you don't eat b/c of your connection w/ someone. anyway, that's my bit, FWIW.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think so - I have 3 hedgies that are all different but particularly I bought my first boy at 6 months old and wasnt well handled and was very huffy - its took me 5 months to get him used to human contact and to stop him biting and to un ball etc etc - I spent about 3-4 hours per night with this hedgie in the beginning - you want to see him now lol - completely different but **** is he a mummys boy - give him to my husband or any one else and he will squirm,mither and grump until he gets back to me and then he is chilled again :lol: he is my special boy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts