Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a pet Hedgehog very soon and I was wondering if it's possible to train your pet hedgies to do anything neat?? Please let me know, thanks! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm sure it's much like any other animal, some can and some can't. I would think a hedgehog is definately not likely to be prone to wanting to learn "tricks", but I'm sure it can't hurt to try. I wouldn't get your hopes up though, most small animals are not very good at learning complicated things. Other then possibly teaching it to come when you call, I don't know of any other tricks a hedgie would be likely to perform.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine all are trained to poop :lol:

But really:
Two of mine are litter trained... One wouldnt noramlly think that is a trick.. But when you have 6 hedgehogs its a pretty neat trick!

IMHO Hedgehogs are not animals for training. They are already cool enough! They dont need tricks!

·
Registered
289 Posts
try to check youtube.com out they probably have hedgie doing tricks so you can learn.and i agrea with melissa they are cool already. and some do tricks and some dont.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You might have luck in encouraging a hedgehog to do something it likes to do naturally. For instance, if it likes to nudge a toy ball up a ramp and then watch it roll down, you might be able to get it to start playing this game on command.

Or at least you might get it to look like it's playing on command, which will impress all your friends. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
your hedgehog responds to its name?? no way!! thats cool i dont think mine has any idea what his name is.
oh well he can poop, eat, and run for ten straight hours until we wake up and turn the light on on the poor guy,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any animal can be trained, with patience, consistency, and positive reinforcement. In my experience, it's the humans are the most difficult part of the equation, by far. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you put your finger right in front of they're face the hedgehog will bump you're finger with their nose but this only works with friendly hedgehogs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts