1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there
i was reading a pet book and it had hedgies in it
i was wondering cuz they said a 20gallon tank would be enough
but im worried it wont be, so im gonna use those plastic bins. but just in case if you have a 20 gallon tank that you use for your hedgie, can you tell me how good they are? :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I have not used tanks for hedgies, but I have for other animals. In my opinion aquariums are not good hedgehog cages. They don't offer much ventilation (especially when a wheel is there, the "fumes" need to go somewhere) and can be annoying to clean often, especially for one a decent size. They can be very heavy. You would need much bigger than a 20 gal, I would say 40 gal would be better.

Tubs are better because they are easy to clean. Lots of people use them because they are inexpensive and convenient.

Edited to put some words in bold

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a plastic cage. Lg, they are easier to clean cuz they are light. As for ventilation, me and my dad cut the plastic on the top out beside the edge, and replaced it with this screen like wire thing, but its holes are like half a cm by half a cm, so the wire itself doesn't block air either.
Anyways, forget the gallons, cuz some are taller. See if the area of the bottom is enough square feet.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I think you need to read my post again. I said:

Tubs are better because they are easy to clean. Lots of people use them because they are inexpensive and convenient.
If you read what I had said before, I would have mentioned the tanks being heavy, which you would assume the above statement would mean that they are east to clean because they are light weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts