Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just joined so I can start learning everything I need to know about owning a little hog. There are 2 cages I already own that I am thinking of using when I do get a hedgehog (they both currently have residents in lol)

Either my 4ft vivarium or I also have the eco living world large which has way more floor space which I've been looking through posts and can't see anyone having used it yet so was wondering what your opinions would be :)

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
485 Posts
pictures and dimensions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Hi this is the eco living world, I've calculated out that it should be internally 8.92 square feet.

My viv will be 5.53 square feet but they're 2 different types of enclosures so im wondering which one would be better :)

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
485 Posts
I think that the bigger one would be good, I would advise taking the top off for more ventilation, but this one seems like a good choice :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that the bigger one would be good, I would advise taking the top off for more ventilation, but this one seems like a good choice :)
Thank you, I was toying with the idea of cutting out some of the lid and adding mesh for better ventilation. It has big slits across the lid currently but I think a little DIY work could add more ventilation. It is currently home to a very bossy female Syrian in which it's still not good enough lol. I don't have space for another cage unfortunately for a hog so I'd be waiting until one of my current cages is no longer in use and was thinking which one would be best. The eco world is the biggest cage we have and when I compare the 2 the floor space for the eco world just seems far superior :) and if I know which cage would be best for my future hog I can start planning how to make it suitable for the hog ;) and I'm going to have ample time to start my hoglett savings as I don't want to be caught out with vet bills :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sounds good to me! What other hedgehog breeds do you have? What new type were you thinking of getting, are they mostly rescues as well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any hedgehogs yet I am waiting to get my first but we have a full house atm so no space right now until the future but gives me time to learn. I do have 4 gerbils, 2 Syrians, 2 dwarfs and 2 robo hamsters however haha most of them have been rescued from unsuitable cage situations which they had not enough space (think I have size 3 feet and I couldn't fit a pair of my shoes in at least 2 of these cages) and no toys or any enrichment and I find it truelly awful to know my 2 dwarfs spent a full year in those conditions. This is why I want to wait until I can provide my future hog with the best size cage and as much enrichment has he needs plus a nest egg because I hear vet bills are not cheap for these guys haha 😅

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah, vets can be expensive. Oh, that's cool! I thought you mean a Syrian hedgehog 😂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts