Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We haven't got all the pieces yet but this is what our general setup is going to be (we bring him home in a week!!). We're going to cut the tupperware into an igloo shape and sew fleece around it and the tupperware lid is the stand in for the wheel/litter box.

Is this enough room for a hedgehog?

Also do they like toys? We wanted to give him stuffed animals but we weren't sure.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Make sure to drill in some ventilation holes into the bin.

Some hedgehogs love stuffed animals, either snuggling or dragging them around, and others don't.

For a baby, cage size is fine, but you might want to consider attaching a second bin with a piece of PVC pipe (4" diameter) over time for a bit more space to run around. Many people end up having a litterbox-wheel section, and a sleepy-cuddles section.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It's a tad on the small side, but it looks pretty good! :) If you guys end up having the funds, space, and ability, you could do an easy upgrade and attach a second bin to the first via some 4" PVC pipe. I've never done it (so can't advise on difficulty, tools needed, or how-to), but there's many people on here who have, so I'm sure there's more info, perhaps on the Cage Examples Discussion sticky.

Toys depends on the hedgie. It certainly wouldn't hurt to include a couple stuffed animals and see what he does with them! Some like to carry small ones around with them, take them to cuddle with in bed, try to give them food and water (or so we think when we find stuffed animal in the food dish or "drowned" in the water dish :lol:), and sometimes boys will make a stuffed animal a...ahem..."special" friend. :lol: But...there's also just as many that won't play with them, so don't be too surprised (or upset) if he just ignores it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You can cut holes with a drill (small bit and make a bigger hole, or a specialized large bit), utility knife, or fine-blade attachment for a dremel or electric saw. Some people heat the plastic up first with a hair dryer to make it softer, reducing the chance of cracking.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will certainly drill vent holes around the side perimeter and at the top. I saw a youtube video where the guy didn't put vent holes, but just left the top off because he said the walls were too high to climb but I don't think I want to test my luck, lol.

I feel like the picture makes it look smaller than it is, but it could also just be small. It's 34.7"x17.5"x15.6" and it was the largest size they had which was frustrating >.<

I guess we'll just see how he likes it, and if he seems grumpy we'll get a second one? Is there any way to tell if he feels cramped?

Also @Lilysmommy I nearly died laughing at your stuffed animal comments, I guess we're in for a surprise!

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's an okay size to start with, but once you add a wheel it's going to be quite crowded. I had two of these connected, and I still didn't feel like it was a decent amount of space, plus I hated how difficult it was to access and clean, since my hedgie is a liner diver so even with several hidey houses all he did was get underneath everything, which meant food and water was constantly dumped over, despite using heavyweight crocks.

He is now in a single ferret nation with a loft for his wheel and food with the entire lower level to explore/hide in (he has several hides that he actually uses now that he can't get under the liner) as well as several "blankets" to drag around and hide under, and we are both MUCH happier. Aside from a few stray kibble I haven't had any major messes to clean up at all, and definitely no more soggy piles of food from everything getting uprooted :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Oh! I'd rinse the tub with water/white-vinegar if you haven't yet. I find most bins start off reeking of plastic. :( You can check ventilation by putting some dry ice in the bottom and see where it goes...

I'm trying to remember who it was, but someone who got a hedgehog this past summer had a really pretty, simple photo of ventillation. Maybe Good&Plenty, Grins&Needles, or zamxonk?

If your hedgehog is running around like a fiend, trashing the place, or trying to climb the walls, they're probably cramped. (Although sometimes hedgehogs just go on demolition derbies: just because we give them toys doesn't mean they won't play by creating messes...)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's an okay size to start with, but once you add a wheel it's going to be quite crowded. I had two of these connected, and I still didn't feel like it was a decent amount of space, plus I hated how difficult it was to access and clean, since my hedgie is a liner diver so even with several hidey houses all he did was get underneath everything, which meant food and water was constantly dumped over, despite using heavyweight crocks.

He is now in a single ferret nation with a loft for his wheel and food with the entire lower level to explore/hide in (he has several hides that he actually uses now that he can't get under the liner) as well as several "blankets" to drag around and hide under, and we are both MUCH happier. Aside from a few stray kibble I haven't had any major messes to clean up at all, and definitely no more soggy piles of food from everything getting uprooted :)
We were going to make a C&C cage but the breeder we went to today told us awful stories about things that have happened to hedgies with wire cages, so we decided against that :-|

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh! I'd rinse the tub with water/white-vinegar if you haven't yet. I find most bins start off reeking of plastic. :( You can check ventilation by putting some dry ice in the bottom and see where it goes...

I'm trying to remember who it was, but someone who got a hedgehog this past summer had a really pretty, simple photo of ventillation. Maybe Good&Plenty, Grins&Needles, or zamxonk?

If your hedgehog is running around like a fiend, trashing the place, or trying to climb the walls, they're probably cramped. (Although sometimes hedgehogs just go on demolition derbies: just because we give them toys doesn't mean they won't play by creating messes...)
Thank you!! I was wondering how to get rid of that awful smell.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Ahahahah, yeah, there's no one good answer! I'm a total rebel with my laundry-basket cages, but it's crazy ventilation, and we effectively built in an "escape hatch" for him to bust out instead of climbing if he ever gets stir crazy.

...which he did for a solid week last month, prowling his hedgie-proofed room after we went to sleep, until I finally figured out he was hunting for a toy I'd swapped out. Whoops.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
A vinegar-water rinse is amazing for deodorizing. It also works great on urine-smelly laundry (including your pants if baby has mishaps...) I like also washing any new toys, fabrics, etc with it so everything starts with the same neutral smell.

If the plastic smell persists, fill with hot soapy water, leave an hour, swap with baking-soda water, leave an hour, swap with vinegar water, leave an hour, rinse with plain water. The start of combo maximizes any plastic-stench (so you only need to do it once), while the sequence of base & acid neutralize it all. Yay household chemistry! Any lingering vinegar smell will fade within a half-hour of exposure to air, or you can mask it with a bit of lemon juice in the final rinse.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We were going to make a C&C cage but the breeder we went to today told us awful stories about things that have happened to hedgies with wire cages, so we decided against that :-|
JMO but breeders often hear the worst of it when it comes to ill suited wire cages and accidents, and I solidly believe that ALL of those kinds of accidents come from misuse, or assuming nothing bad will happen, rather than making sure it can't. There are ways to make both C&C and other wire cages 100% hedgie safe, most of which comes down to preventing escapes and preventing climbing/falls. My Ferret Nation has an enclosed loft area (so there is no chance of falling off the shelf), and a covered ramp (so no chance of falling off the ramp) - so it's just not possible to fall from a height greater than from the top of his small igloo.

If you poke around here on the forums you'll find a lot of ways to modify a C&C to make it hedgehog safe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahahahah, yeah, there's no one good answer! I'm a total rebel with my laundry-basket cages, but it's crazy ventilation, and we effectively built in an "escape hatch" for him to bust out instead of climbing if he ever gets stir crazy.

...which he did for a solid week last month, prowling his hedgie-proofed room after we went to sleep, until I finally figured out he was hunting for a toy I'd swapped out. Whoops.
That is a the cutest thing I have ever heard! I'm curious as to what your setup looks like. I saw a laundry basket today and totally that thought before I was like, no, wait, those holes are huge, he'd totally escape.

A vinegar-water rinse is amazing for deodorizing. It also works great on urine-smelly laundry (including your pants if baby has mishaps...) I like also washing any new toys, fabrics, etc with it so everything starts with the same neutral smell.

If the plastic smell persists, fill with hot soapy water, leave an hour, swap with baking-soda water, leave an hour, swap with vinegar water, leave an hour, rinse with plain water. The start of combo maximizes any plastic-stench (so you only need to do it once), while the sequence of base & acid neutralize it all. Yay household chemistry! Any lingering vinegar smell will fade within a half-hour of exposure to air, or you can mask it with a bit of lemon juice in the final rinse.
Would I just put the vinegar in the laundry like sans detergent? Or do you mean I should hand was with vinegar?

Hahaha yes! Science ftw!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JMO but breeders often hear the worst of it when it comes to ill suited wire cages and accidents, and I solidly believe that ALL of those kinds of accidents come from misuse, or assuming nothing bad will happen, rather than making sure it can't. There are ways to make both C&C and other wire cages 100% hedgie safe, most of which comes down to preventing escapes and preventing climbing/falls. My Ferret Nation has an enclosed loft area (so there is no chance of falling off the shelf), and a covered ramp (so no chance of falling off the ramp) - so it's just not possible to fall from a height greater than from the top of his small igloo.

If you poke around here on the forums you'll find a lot of ways to modify a C&C to make it hedgehog safe.
I'm sure that's totally correct. I think I'll start with the safer bet, being that I'm super nervous already about doing something wrong and then continue doing research. I was superrrrrr excited about the C&C cage, but I don't want to take any chances :-(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Wait, do you mean fill the entire thing or just like wash all the sides with it and let it soak in?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
For laundry, I machine-wash as normal with detergent. If I'm organized, I'll add 1/4c vinegar during the rinse cycle. If I'm disorganized, I'll toss in a glug at the start and forget about it.

For the container: fill the whole container with water. Add a small bit of soap, swish it around to mix, then let it sit. Then, dump out the water, replace it, add a few teaspoons of baking soda, and let it sit. Dump the water again, fill with water, add 1/4-1/2 c vinegar (any will do, white vinegar is just the cheapest), let sit. Finally, rinse with water. This is ONLY for the deoderazing-wash -- after that, you can just wash the sides and base.

If you ever end up with mites and need to disinfect everything, soaking the whole tube in hot water with vinegar is a pet-safe disinfectant.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For laundry, I machine-wash as normal with detergent. If I'm organized, I'll add 1/4c vinegar during the rinse cycle. If I'm disorganized, I'll toss in a glug at the start and forget about it.

For the container: fill the whole container with water. Add a small bit of soap, swish it around to mix, then let it sit. Then, dump out the water, replace it, add a few teaspoons of baking soda, and let it sit. Dump the water again, fill with water, add 1/4-1/2 c vinegar (any will do, white vinegar is just the cheapest), let sit. Finally, rinse with water. This is ONLY for the deoderazing-wash -- after that, you can just wash the sides and base.

If you ever end up with mites and need to disinfect everything, soaking the whole tube in hot water with vinegar is a pet-safe disinfectant.
So I can use regular detergent and vinegar to get rid of the smell of detergent? Yesssssssssssssss. One less thing to buy, lol.

Oh god, I'm terrified of getting mites. I'm going to stock up on so much vinegar.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Er, small miscommunication: if you're using a scented detergent, that will still be smelly. The vinegar will just neutralize the urine smells and other too-strong-to-wash-out scents.

I buy the largest jug at the store -- I think it's 1 or 2 gallons? and it's like, $5. So awesome.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Er, small miscommunication: if you're using a scented detergent, that will still be smelly. The vinegar will just neutralize the urine smells and other too-strong-to-wash-out scents.

I buy the largest jug at the store -- I think it's 1 or 2 gallons? and it's like, $5. So awesome.
Failllllllllllllllllllllllll. I read this too late. I'm doing laundry right now with detergent and vinegar. Do you think there's something I can do other than re-washing them with unscented detergent to get the detergent smell out?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I never know what the timestamps on this board me -- I think it's set to London or something, so I don't know how long ago this was.

You can wait until the wash cycle is done, sniff it, and see how it is.
You can do a second wash cycle with an unscented detergent.
You can do a washtub-soak with unscented detergent (if you're on coin-op washers)
You can ignore it this time, hope hedgie doesn't have a sneezing-reaction that drives you into worried-mum state, and fix it next time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts