Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm getting a hedgehog in a few weeks after years of research. I'm using a c&c type cage because that's what we had for my guinea pig a few years back, but I need to get a new coroplast base. Everywhere I look to buy some online it says that it'll come in multiple pieces and I was wondering if it would be ok to make the base out of 2 pieces or if I should go to a sign printer and try to get a 53-39 inch sheet? I have plenty of time to order it online if that's a good option, but I'm just not sure if using multiple pieces would work, or how to put it together if it does. Thank you for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a CC cage for my rats, with a tray bottom and I would throw fleece down. opted out of that cage for me new hedge (never again will I get another one though!) because i wanted something longer. I didn't realize they made huge messes so I like the longer cage to have bigger litter pans. Good luck!

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,076 Posts
I think if you can get 2 to fit perfect in the bottom so they don't move it would be fine. But I've never used a c&c cage so I'm not 100% sure so hopefully someone will say if its wrong.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a coroplast base for my hedgehog cage and use fleece liners. I also had a C&C cage with fleece for my guinea pigs. I think you will find that hedgehogs are waaayy easier to clean up after than piggies.

I don't think it will be any big deal if you overlap the coroplast pieces and use duct or packaging tape on the underside. With a fleece liner, my coroplast has yet to get even remotely wet with the hedgehog.

The possible problem with using the cube grids is that the openings are too large. A hedgehog could get hurt trying to squeeze through. To prevent this, the sides of the coroplast will need to be taller than was needed for a piggie cage. If your hedgehog is a climber, the sides will have to be even taller. So, in effect, you could wind up with almost a fish tank effect since all 4 sides will be solid.

You could cut air holes in the coroplast sides to allow for airflow though.

You'll also need a lid which will serve as a place for your CHE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

I think I've decided to go with the midwest guinea pig cage, but make the top from the cubes and then put a fleece liner in on top of the canvas one that comes with the setup.
It seems easier in terms of moving as I'm a student and it will be difficult to fit a large piece of coroplast in my car with everything else I have to bring back and fourth. And because I'll need to bring it to school with me and then bring it home for vacations and when I come home for the summer.
Thank you for the advice!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts