Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 1029 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought we had a great thread over on the other forum, so I think we should have one here too. :)

Link to old thread:
http://hedgehogcentral.com/oldforum/ind ... topic=1383

Please post pictures (if you don't attach, make sure they are small) of your cages and setups. It'd be nice to keep the irrelevant chatting to a minimum as well.

I'll start with a few of the setups Inky has had...

Back when I had both wheels in:

Redone with loft:

With old wheel:

Vid of Inky Demonstrating the tube:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Okay, here it is. A couple things, the igloo is removed (she never uses it) she likes her hedgiehat, blanket, and my shirt better. Those three items are usually not in the center, they are usually againt the side opposite from the wheel, so they take up less space than it looks. We are going to make her have two conjoined cages soon, cuz here cage is a bit small. Oh, lastly, we are going to get rid of the duct tape and use a nice wooden frame soon to keep the metal screen down. :)
also, she has a different woter bottle (though you can't see it) and her purple crock water dish thing was dropped by my mom, so we have a different one now. It is actually what was her food dish in a larger version, and she has a smaller different kind food dish cuz she likes it better. (many changes, i kno)[attachment=0:2gkmbyrn]Jadecage.jpg[/attachment:2gkmbyrn]

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here's my setup. Note I took the pic right after I cleaned his cage, so its about 10 times cleaner than usual. Anyway, it's a bit small, but it seems to work just fine for Turbo. Pretty self explanatory- food and water dish, fleece scraps, hedgie bag, pvc pipe, wheel, tp tube, ping pong ball, and toy truck. He doesn't use a litterbox. There's a thermometer taped to the side and just a pretty little nametag thing on the back, for decorative purposes only.

[attachment=0:30qffp9h]misc 052.jpg[/attachment:30qffp9h]

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
This my set up. I have a four level C&C cage (the very bottom level is storage). There is one hedgehog per level. I also have sterelite bin cages. I have been meaning to make another four or five story C&C cage pretty soon, for the ladies.

·
Registered
150 Posts
LizardGirl said:
I thought we had a great thread over on the other forum, so I think we should have one here too. :)

Please post pictures (if you don't attach, make sure they are small) of your cages and setups. It'd be nice to keep the irrelevant chatting to a minimum as well.

I'll start with a few of the setups Inky has had...

Back when I had both wheels in:

Redone with loft:

With old wheel:
Just wondering what kind of cage is that? I originally decided on a C&C cage for when I get a hedgie, but I also want to check out other options to see what may or may not be better.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cage there is actually a Ferret Nation 142. I use only the top section with the bottom tray, so he can't access the bottom part. I use one shelf for storage, one for the loft. (as you can see in the pics) The cage is usually around $200 plus shipping, and weighs about 90lbs I think...

Here is the entire thing: (this is before I modified it to put in a loft)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok here is my set up. I bought a Ferret Nation (2 levels) and I house 1 male on each level. Each hedgehog has a main floor complete with a bedroom, kitchen and living space, as well as an exercise loft :lol:

Gus' level (top of Ferret Nation)

Marty's level (bottom of Ferret Nation)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here is our set up. We are still figuring out a way to connect the loft with the bottom...hopefully next weekend we will have that figured out. Some things need to be noted first though...that is an AC in the window...it is NOT in use, and has not been since Q came home. Secondly, we have weighed the pros and cons on Bottle vs Bowl. We have decided on a bottle.

So with that said:[attachment=0:3qg3hgso]DSCF1487 (Small).jpg[/attachment:3qg3hgso][attachment=1:3qg3hgso]DSCF1485 (Small).jpg[/attachment:3qg3hgso][attachment=2:3qg3hgso]DSCF1483 (Small).jpg[/attachment:3qg3hgso]

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is the first part of my new cage. The end goal is to decorate it like a castle! ( I drilled another hole for the thermometer cord, so it is not exposed. This is an indoor/outdoor one so it measures both sides!

His bedroom and dining room. Under the igloo is a bunch of fleece. He also has a teddy bear and a TP roll.

The litter box side - I want to section some of it off so it's smaller for the litter box and have the rest use fleece, because this is a huge litter box.

And here is Patrick using the "drawbridge"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Cage Examples

Mine looks so dull compared to yours! Still, the hedgie seems to like it well enough . . . this is a Super Pets My First Home extra-large.

(The pictures are thumbnails--they will enlarge if you click them.)

The gray band along the bottom is window screen material, folded so that no sharp parts are exposed and closely wired to the inside of the cage. I added that at the suggestion of the breeder, who was worried that a baby hedgehog could get its head stuck between the horizontal bars, or try to climb them and fall.

The only other interesting thing about my setup is something you can't really see--I replaced the overhead lights in that room with full-spectrum bulbs intended for reptiles. They use up 26 watts apiece, as opposed to the 60 that the original bulbs used, and in theory they will eliminate any temptation for Spirit to go into hibernation from the dimness in her little corner.

Actually, I think she hates the lights. I love them, however. The low autumn light must have been getting to me already, because I could stand around in the fake sunlight all day.

·
Registered
135 Posts

[attachment=1:19qg1jbj]misc 052.jpg[/attachment:19qg1jbj]
This is Turbo's cage. It's a bit on the small side, but it's super convenient since we travel a fair amount- I'm in college and go home a lot or various places, the plastic tub works best for this. It's also super easy to clean. I made the bucket wheel, but it was kinda flimsy since it wasn't made out of a bucket, so I have since remade it with an actual 5 gallon bucket and it works much better.

[attachment=0:19qg1jbj]Turbo 066.jpg[/attachment:19qg1jbj]
To the left of Turbo's cage is his supply cubby. Food, liners, cleaning stuff, toys, and sitting on top is my space heater that keeps the room at a constant 75 degrees. *Note* plastic tub cages must have a space heater and not a heat emitter due to ventilation issues.

Hopefully someday I will settle down enough to build Turbo the mansion-cage we both dream of, but for now, this works just fine for the both of us.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts

Here is our hedgie condo. It's made out of storage cubes (which can be found at Target, Walmart, Costco and various other stores of that nature for about $20 a box), zip-ties, and linoleum flooring.

The dimensions are L(45") x W(16") x H (16")

It's four stories tall, with the bottom used as storage.

·
Registered
289 Posts

I just made a C&C cage about a week ago (well, minus the corolplast). It doesnt quite look as nice as yours though, Gnarly! Plus my pictures didnt turn out as well :lol:

A view of the cage and storage area underneath

His bucket wheel, food&water, tp tube, and toy car

His food, water, and rubber ducky/calico cat :p

His hedgie bag and stuffed animals (from mcdonalds a LONG time ago :lol: )

Another front view

·
Registered
60 Posts

My set up:

Bins connected with 4 inch PVC piping and ventilation holes drilled around the lower half.
Homemade bucket wheels with paper towels tucked under the stand.
Simple fleece liners.
Medium pigloos stuffed with fleece strips and blankies
Ceramic bowls and dishes.
The toys change once in awhile but mostly go ignored :lol:
Pretty simple, straightforward stuff :)

A couple of the inhabitants, to help give some perspective on the size

·
Registered
124 Posts

Here's Ziggy's C&C cage (54" x 33"):

So yeah...it's a C&C cage, but instead of cubes I used the panels from 2 Midwest Small Pet Playpens and connected them with zip-ties. The panels are 15" high, and the coroplast walls are 8" high. I have two closetmaid shelves that sit on top for the lid (bought one long shelf and the people at Home Depot cut it to size for me). There is a big UV strip light on top, and two 150w heat emitters that are hooked up to a Zilla 1000w Temp Controller. On the bottom are two pieces of fleece (one on top of the other) that I just cut to size. I have paper towels under the wheel (which so far seems to be the only place he goes potty), and fleece strips in all the hiding places. There is also a marble tile in one corner in case he wants a cool surface to lay on.

I decided not to wash the wheel before taking the picture so it would accurately reflect what the cage looks like when I get up in the morning...

Playpen:
http://www.petco.com/product/13911/Midwest-Small-Pet-Playpens.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

ClosetMaid Shelves:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100157320

Temp Controller:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=2533

Here's another photo (I change it up a bit everytime I change the liner):

·
Registered
43 Posts

These are the cages that I built for my two new Hedgies, they should be here next weekend.

I just have to add the coroplast to the second cage

I built storage under them so that I have everything close by

1 - 20 of 1029 Posts