Hedgehog Central banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 458 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Re: Cage Setup Examples

LizardGirl said:
Heh, I'm not sure what section! I bought mine online, so it was just shipped to me. It would be with all the other dryer vents, though.

Here is a link to where I bought the tube:
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(ziqdz ... 45zk0evrum)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=998020741

And here is a topic discussing the Flying Saucers, there are links inside.
http://hedgehogcentral.com/oldforum/ind ... topic=4705
Thanks a ton! Now i dont have to figure out how to make the ramps hedgie proof!

· Registered
409 Posts

Jesirose

The litter box in a completely different area with the wheel in it = genius! It must be a snap to clean!! I'm TOTALLY stealing your idea ;)

· Premium Member
8,954 Posts

Instead of this thread being a sticky, lets start a new one that is just cage setups. I was on a rat forum yesterday and they had a sticky that was just for cage setups and the person wrote a description of the cage, how they modified it and where parts were found. Comments were not allowed and were deleted so that only cage photos and descriptions where there. I thought it was a great idea. I'll make a new thread and make it a sticky. :)

· Registered
51 Posts

I love that idea Nancy. It's fun just to look at cages, without having to go three pages of questions
!

· Registered
45 Posts

Before we go to a no-questions format . . . I'm seriously liking the storage cube cages, but I'm not sure how you make doors for them, or holes for hoses. (There's one where a hose appears to go through a cage wall in the "no questions" thread.) Also, what kind of mess do you find around these cages in the morning? I rent, and I doubt my landlord would appreciate a sprinkling of poo stains in an area exactly the shape of my hedgie tower . . .

· Registered
334 Posts

padawanslacker said:
Before we go to a no-questions format . . . I'm seriously liking the storage cube cages, but I'm not sure how you make doors for them, or holes for hoses. (There's one where a hose appears to go through a cage wall in the "no questions" thread.) Also, what kind of mess do you find around these cages in the morning? I rent, and I doubt my landlord would appreciate a sprinkling of poo stains in an area exactly the shape of my hedgie tower . . .
To make doors we left a whole section open, and then used a section of cubes to make a flap like door with zip ties.
The wire is also pretty thin, so I'm sure if you wanted to cut a smaller hole or door, you could easily do some with a pair of wire clippers. Just be sure to sand down any of the metal that might remain, or cover it to make a smooth and safe surface.

I don't get a mess around my cage; I have plastic on the sides and this not only prevents climbing but also keeps all poops inside.
I also have plastic shelf covering and a towel under my condo, because it's on hardwood floor and I don't want to get a scratch.

· Registered
334 Posts

I'm bumping this because there were some questions in the "pictures only" cage example thread.

· Registered
33 Posts

What do you guys use for liner? I have been using bedding but he does most of his business in his wheel so I am starting to think that maybe the bedding is a waste of money.

· Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

Most liners are made of fleece (preferably anti-pill) or flannel, or corduroy. Make sure there are no loose threads.

· Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

I just cut fleece to the size of the cage floor, but some people get fancy and layer them to make them more absorbent/comfortable. Nancy (*waves Nancy over*) sells some great stuff if you're not the creative type. :)

· Registered
33 Posts

yea if i knew how to sew i totally would. i did find a website where they make them though. Maybe someday in the future when I actually have time, I can figure out how to make some!

· Registered
334 Posts

You don't have to sew. All you need to do is cut the fleece to the size of the floor; it won't unravel, so it's fine without a hem.

· Registered
310 Posts

the fleece that i use for sages cage i think it is pilling... or something cause every day i have to use tweezers and pull fleece out of her quills little balls of it ... and she hates it!

· Registered
334 Posts

That was happening for a while with my Zeek. I would take him out of his cage and find little bits of fluff all over him; it turns out he was digging, and tearing up the fleece. I filled his igloo with fleece scraps, and now he has something to dig in, he's no longer covered in fuzz everyday and it's saving the fleece.

41 - 60 of 458 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.