Hedgehog Central banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cage Setup discussions

181K views 457 replies 162 participants last post by  Lilysmommy 
After looking at everyone elses cages i almost feel as though mine is too much but Ruby seems to like it. I have however found that using the aluminum flexible tubing is a big problem because it makes it very difficult to get to her to help here socialize and its impossible to clean. Because of that we will be switching here cage ramps to half a pvc pipe this weekend.
And interesting thing that i have found out though is that Ruby does not seem to like fabric or most specifically felt. She will not sleep on or under it at all and will instead push it out of the way.

As for adding the dual 150 w CHE's I would be very weary of that. From what i am experiencing even one can be very hard to manage the temperature with.

For those that like the C&C cages but maybe want to make your own I recommend the link below. It is a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" plastic for bathrooms that is very flexible and can be used in place of the coroplast. We just changed our cage for Ruby this weekend because she would not come out of the aluminum flex tubing making it hard to re-socialize her and she apparently hates ramps.... But since we had some cubes already available we made our own.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202090190? ... WRjTVe2Bio

one difference is you are using a flexible tube and you need a rigid tube. Such as the link below.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202907344? ... WeO7J3n-9I

one thing I found out is that the tube listed above allows for a steeper slope without any problem because it creates its own steps inside. However the hedie can tend to hide in it and not come out and it can be hard to clean.

The Ferret Trail tubes are the best for tubes in my opinion. They are see through so the hedgie can hide a little but you can still see it, they come apart (with a little work) which makes them easy to clean or you can just us a bottle brush. They also have ridges to act as steps and they are very sturdy and safe. The only downfall of them is they are more expensive. To keep it from being too steep you can add 2 elbows and have it come around the one side. That will allow her to go up and it not be too steep.

But make sure you keep the boxes if the get the Ferret Trail tubes so that you can take them back if the hedgie doesn't like them :)
Mine loved the tubes but I was using the metal ones and never got to see her.

Another suggestion would be to make/buy a cover for the igloo, that will give the hedgie a comfortable secure place to sleep. You can find them in other places on this forum or online.

You can try making sure it stacks on itself or you need to use something like a cardboard tube to run it around. you can also do an image search on google for C&C cage and look how they set up the ramps for critters and see if you want to do something like that instead. Problem with the tubes is they may not want to come out, there can sometimes be stray metal edges and its very hard to clean (all from own experience).

hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.