Hedgehog Central banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
334 Posts
Re: Cage Setup Examples

This my set up. I have a four level C&C cage (the very bottom level is storage). There is one hedgehog per level. I also have sterelite bin cages. I have been meaning to make another four or five story C&C cage pretty soon, for the ladies.

· Registered
334 Posts

Storage cube cages are etremly inexpensive to make. As long as you have the room, housing seven hedgehogs should be a problem!

· Registered
334 Posts

They are pretty easy to clean.

My cages are three panels across, and if the door is placed on the center panel, it makes cleaning any area of the cage very easy.
I did make the mistake of putting the doors on the ends, in the beginning, but the cages were too difficult to clean (but I am a very small woman) so I had to move the doors.

· Registered
334 Posts

padawanslacker said:
Before we go to a no-questions format . . . I'm seriously liking the storage cube cages, but I'm not sure how you make doors for them, or holes for hoses. (There's one where a hose appears to go through a cage wall in the "no questions" thread.) Also, what kind of mess do you find around these cages in the morning? I rent, and I doubt my landlord would appreciate a sprinkling of poo stains in an area exactly the shape of my hedgie tower . . .
To make doors we left a whole section open, and then used a section of cubes to make a flap like door with zip ties.
The wire is also pretty thin, so I'm sure if you wanted to cut a smaller hole or door, you could easily do some with a pair of wire clippers. Just be sure to sand down any of the metal that might remain, or cover it to make a smooth and safe surface.

I don't get a mess around my cage; I have plastic on the sides and this not only prevents climbing but also keeps all poops inside.
I also have plastic shelf covering and a towel under my condo, because it's on hardwood floor and I don't want to get a scratch.

· Registered
334 Posts

I'm bumping this because there were some questions in the "pictures only" cage example thread.

· Registered
334 Posts

You don't have to sew. All you need to do is cut the fleece to the size of the floor; it won't unravel, so it's fine without a hem.

· Registered
334 Posts

That was happening for a while with my Zeek. I would take him out of his cage and find little bits of fluff all over him; it turns out he was digging, and tearing up the fleece. I filled his igloo with fleece scraps, and now he has something to dig in, he's no longer covered in fuzz everyday and it's saving the fleece.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.