Hedgehog Central banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought we had a great thread over on the other forum, so I think we should have one here too. :)

Link to old thread:
http://hedgehogcentral.com/oldforum/ind ... topic=1383

Please post pictures (if you don't attach, make sure they are small) of your cages and setups. It'd be nice to keep the irrelevant chatting to a minimum as well.

I'll start with a few of the setups Inky has had...

Back when I had both wheels in:

Redone with loft:

With old wheel:

Vid of Inky Demonstrating the tube:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Re: Cage Setup Examples

Okay, here it is. A couple things, the igloo is removed (she never uses it) she likes her hedgiehat, blanket, and my shirt better. Those three items are usually not in the center, they are usually againt the side opposite from the wheel, so they take up less space than it looks. We are going to make her have two conjoined cages soon, cuz here cage is a bit small. Oh, lastly, we are going to get rid of the duct tape and use a nice wooden frame soon to keep the metal screen down. :)
also, she has a different woter bottle (though you can't see it) and her purple crock water dish thing was dropped by my mom, so we have a different one now. It is actually what was her food dish in a larger version, and she has a smaller different kind food dish cuz she likes it better. (many changes, i kno)

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts

Here's my setup. Note I took the pic right after I cleaned his cage, so its about 10 times cleaner than usual. Anyway, it's a bit small, but it seems to work just fine for Turbo. Pretty self explanatory- food and water dish, fleece scraps, hedgie bag, pvc pipe, wheel, tp tube, ping pong ball, and toy truck. He doesn't use a litterbox. There's a thermometer taped to the side and just a pretty little nametag thing on the back, for decorative purposes only.

[attachment=0:30qffp9h]misc 052.jpg[/attachment:30qffp9h]

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts

This my set up. I have a four level C&C cage (the very bottom level is storage). There is one hedgehog per level. I also have sterelite bin cages. I have been meaning to make another four or five story C&C cage pretty soon, for the ladies.

·
Registered
7 Posts

im going to post some pics soon of the new c&c cage i made for dodger.
its maybe a month old now and he loves it its 2ftx2ft plus a 1ftx2ft loft...

·
Registered
214 Posts

here is my set up. it is lacking, i know.... a wheel is coming soon (waiting for the paycheck to come in the mail)
i do have a question though. I read that hedgehogs don't like heights... how do they do climbing those tubes? i like the idea of a loft and will probably want to try that....

(note: he does have a blanket he sleeps under, i just took it out for the pic)

·
Registered
543 Posts

It isn't so much that they don't like heights it is just they are not used to heights and will walk right off a ledge. Also they tuck into a ball so their quills will help cushion the fall but that is only for very minor heights. A fall of even a foot or so can cause MAJOR injuries. So when adding a loft it is imperative that the "ramp" and loft is completely enclosed. Tubing is a perfect "ramp" but the loft still has to be without ledges.

·
Registered
150 Posts

zoologist said:
here is my set up. it is lacking, i know.... a wheel is coming soon (waiting for the paycheck to come in the mail)
i do have a question though. I read that hedgehogs don't like heights... how do they do climbing those tubes? i like the idea of a loft and will probably want to try that....

(note: he does have a blanket he sleeps under, i just took it out for the pic)
Hi. I can't tell whether that is a towell or fleece, but if it is a towell I just wanted to let you know that you should change it as a hedgies foot/nail can get caught in the little loops. If it's fleece then just ignore what I said :roll:

·
Registered
150 Posts

LizardGirl said:
I thought we had a great thread over on the other forum, so I think we should have one here too. :)

Please post pictures (if you don't attach, make sure they are small) of your cages and setups. It'd be nice to keep the irrelevant chatting to a minimum as well.

I'll start with a few of the setups Inky has had...

Back when I had both wheels in:

Redone with loft:

With old wheel:
Just wondering what kind of cage is that? I originally decided on a C&C cage for when I get a hedgie, but I also want to check out other options to see what may or may not be better.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The cage there is actually a Ferret Nation 142. I use only the top section with the bottom tray, so he can't access the bottom part. I use one shelf for storage, one for the loft. (as you can see in the pics) The cage is usually around $200 plus shipping, and weighs about 90lbs I think...

Here is the entire thing: (this is before I modified it to put in a loft)

·
Registered
408 Posts

OMG!!! Nowhere good to sleep? by a hedgie hat or a pigloo. (look it up)

·
Registered
150 Posts

It looks like there is something in the top right corner of the cage that could be something for the hedgehog to sleep under, but I can't really make it out so I don't know (or maybe I'm seeing things cause I'm exhausted lol)

If there is in fact nothing in there then for the time being you can put in an extra piece of fleece for your hedgie to sleep under.

·
Registered
150 Posts

zoologist said:
who, me? yes cloud has a piece of fleece thats been fashioned into a bag. its stuffed with fleece strips and he sleeps in there. its made out of the same fleece as the liner so it blends in.....
I knew I saw something :lol: My sight didn't fail me.

·
Registered
408 Posts

wow. that is one of the coolest setups i've seen.

1 - 20 of 458 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.