Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if a used fish tank is okay to use for a new baby hedgehog, if cleaned very good? Need to know ASAP!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: No, and here's why:

Fish tanks have poor ventilation and are designed to keep moisture in. You need a cage with good ventilation that isn't going to hold in moisture (which will cause mold and mildew). Also, they're difficult to clean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My breeder said it was OK, because she has them in a big fishtanks and she's had hers for years. Should I still invest in a different tank? Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
You need to get a proper cage not a different tank. Tanks are made for fish and reptiles not for hedgehogs. Hedgehogs need proper ventilation and a tank is made to hold in moisture and you don't want moisture in with your hedgehog.

Tanks are not good for hedgehogs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would say if you aren't willing to spend the money to give your pet a proper home then I would advise not getting a hedgehog. they aren't cheap and require a lot of time, and energy. The cage set up is vital, they need specific wheel size, specific floor space, the perfect temperature. It's a lot of work. Do your research before you get the baby and make sure you're willing to provide for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts